Chapter 3.2

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad! Also, thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information about the series is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 3.2

Reluctantly, he headed towards her. "Okay, LaDonda, you can stop waving now," he mumbled. "I can see you."

"Nathan!" she called again.

"Ugh. Why is she still calling my name and flagging me down?" he protested. "Doesn't she see me walking over to her?" Painstakingly, he raised his hand to wave back. "This is so embarrassing," he muttered. He automatically scanned the room to see if anyone else was witnessing the uncomfortable display. "Maybe if I wave back she'll stop." 

"Come, come, Nathan," she said eagerly, motioning her hand at him. "I want you to meet someone. I want you to meet Jonathan Gregory Black." 

She beamed. "You remember the Black family, don't you Nathan?" she asked. "Dr. Gregory Black, Jonathan's father, and his wife, Patricia, attended our church for years before moving abroad to pioneer a church in India." Enthusiastically, she turned to look at Jonathan. "How old were you when your family moved there?" 

Jonathan was tall and slender and wore a pair of dark, square-rimmed glasses that occasionally slid down to the tip of his sharp-angled nose. His dark hair was in contrast to his fair skin. Nathan took note of Jonathan's sharp cheek bones and his piercing blue eyes that set noticeably behind his glasses. "I believe I was seven," he said, with a slight British accent. "I also believe Nathan, Lafonda and I used to attend Sunday school together." 

LaDonda turned her gaze to Nathan and stared at him intently as if she was awaiting a response. 

"I don't remember," Nathan shrugged. 

Her smile suddenly turned sour after hearing his answer. 

"I'm sorry. I just don't remember." Nathan sighed. He hardly remembered anything from when he was seven.

"Well," continued LaDonda, "I am so excited to have you back in town with us." She had a disconcerted look on her face, but eventually sounded elated again. "And I was so excited when your parents called me to confirm that you would be helping out with camp this year!" She smiled. "I know it may not be as interesting or prestigious as being a summer fellow with your father and my son, Avery, at the British Museum in London, but I am so grateful you decided to join us." 

"Oh no, I am excited too!" shouted Jonathan, pausing to reposition his glasses on his nose. "I haven't been to the States in years and I am most interested in learning more about the historical sites." 

"The historical sites?" moaned Nathan. He had a bewildered look on his face. "Here?" He huffed. I wouldn't consider anywhere in this town of historical significance, he thought. And why on Earth would someone pass up a summer fellowship in London to be here to look after some whiny teenagers?

"Yes," responded Jonathan enthusiastically, "I can't wait to see the cliffs overlooking Lake Charleston again. They were once used by the Northern Cahokia tribe for rituals and ceremonies." He smiled. "When I was little, I used to go up there with my father during his excavations of the area. Tomorrow I plan to meet with the director of Archeological Studies at the university, Dr. Janet Helmsley. She's coordinating a new dig site and the excavation of one of the Cahokia caves behind the cliffs." 

"Jonathan is following in his father's footsteps by studying archeology and theology at Oxford University," said LaDonda proudly.  

Nathan quickly rolled his eyes. "Well, good luck with that," he said. 

LaDonda frowned at Nathan and then smiled at Jonathan. "Will you need a car to help you get around while you are here?" 

"Oh," responded Jonathan, "My dad arranged for me to stay with the Dardings while I am here, until camp starts on Friday." He paused to reposition his square-rimmed glasses on his nose again. "They were kind enough to allow me to use one of their vehicles," he beamed. "It's a nice car too. I believe it's a gray or silver BMW. I really like it!" 

"You and everyone else," muttered Nathan underneath his breath. 

LaDonda sighed while keeping a watchful eye on the party. "I told Gregory that you could stay here with us," she said. "But your father insisted that Jim Darding wouldn't hear of it." 

Jonathan smiled and then laughed. "Yes, Mr. Darding was adamant about my staying with them," he said. "My dad and Mr. Darding are good friends. Mr. Darding came to visit us in London when dad was appointed a trustee of the British Museum."

"Okay," said LaDonda, with a grin. "Well next time, you will have to stay with us." 

"Well, I'm all out of punch," announced Nathan impatiently. "And I promised the birthday girl that I would find her as soon as I got here." He smiled weakly and began to inch away. "It was nice meeting you, or seeing you again, John, and I guess I'll see you at camp on Friday." 

"You too," said Jonathan, repositioning his glasses again. "Oh, and it's Jonathan." 

"Right — Jonathan," replied Nathan, attempting to walk away before LaDonda could demand his attendance. He took a deep breath and sighed heavily. "Gee," he groaned, when he was out of earshot. "That took forever!" 

Nathan headed over towards the table with the fruit punch and carefully maneuvered through the groups of people. The beautiful girl with the sparkling green eyes and her entourage were no longer there. I wonder where Lafonda is anyway? he pondered to himself. I'd better find her quick and say hello, or I will never hear the end of it.

He scanned the room. I hope she doesn't expect me to dance with her like last year, he thought, recalling the torture of having to dance in front of people, and with Lafonda. I would rather give blood than do that again.

Ultimately, Nathan decided to stick to the security of the table instead of aimlessly searching through the crowd to look for her. He didn't want to risk looking silly. He noticed that the majority of the people at the party appeared to be college students and that most of the older people were gathered together in little pockets near the entrance to the den or fringes of the party. He caught a glimpse of Roy and LaDonda near the table stacked with gifts and cake. It looked like she was still having a conversation with Jonathan. 

Carefully, he continued to look around the room, stopping here and there to see if he recognized anyone at the party. He stopped again when he saw the blonde with the green eyes. She was standing in the center of the crowded room, but without her entourage of admirers. The sequins on her strapless black dress glimmered in the light as she occasionally shifted from side to side. She was engaged in a conversation with a young woman dressed in a white, fitted minidress that flared out slightly from her waist. The light fabric lay gently on her luminous dark skin, and her long dark hair lay in silky curls on her shoulders. Nathan thought she was just as beautiful as the blonde.

He gasped. "Lafonda!" he blurted out. He was so loud that a few people turned around. "That's Lafonda?" 

———————————-

If you've enjoyed what you've read so far or have any questions, please leave a comment below. 

And I would definitely appreciate your vote!