Chapter 21.2

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad! Thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 21.2

Nathan quickly ducked behind the wall to the tomb again, hoping he hadn't been heard. When he emerged, it appeared as if no one had heard him. He could see that Jonas's hands were bound and that his clothes were badly roughed up. Following behind Jonas was a tall, muscular-looking guy that appeared to be escorting him. "Who's that? Where did they get this guy? He looks like he just stepped off the football field."

The hefty guy pushed Jonas forward then stopped him in front of the two priests. He tried to force him to his knees, but Jonas refused. It looked like they were preparing to perform some kind of ritual. Jonas tried to put up a fight, but the hefty guy overpowered him, knocking him to the ground with a violent blow to the head.

Nathan clinched his fists and gritted his teeth. His anger burned, and he could feel something else growing and burning inside of him. "I'm going to kill that guy," he vowed.

Jonas lay in agony on the ground, his hands still bound. The two priests appeared unamused by what just transpired and hissed loudly. The muscular guy quickly reached down and yanked Jonas by the arm, bringing him to his knees.

One of the priests raised his hand from beneath his ruby-red cloak, revealing a long glass vial in his thin, decayed hand. The other priest withdrew a shiny silver dagger similar to the one used to stab Leah in Nathan's dream. In the blink of an eye, his dark, decaying hand was wrapped around Jonas's arm as he prepared to pierce it with the silver dagger. But before he could strike, Jonas yanked back, freeing himself from his grasp. In the same instant, the burly guy slapped Jonas hard across the face, leaving behind a trickle of blood. 

Nathan's hands trembled uncontrollably and the burn in the pit of his stomach intensified. "Not yet, Nathan," he repeated to himself. "Not yet." He took several deep breaths, trying to ease the pounding in his chest. He noticed that his hands were bright red, like they had been on the night of Lafonda's birthday party.     

Loud hissing sounds echoed from the plaza. The priest with the silver dagger grabbed a fistful of Jonas's dark hair and yanked his head hard to the left, fully exposing the blood coming from his mouth. The other priest carefully placed the long glass vial underneath Jonas's chin and collected his blood. After it was filled, he shook it as if to mix it with something, and the blood-filled vial soon sparkled a bright blue.

The priest released his grip and Jonas's head slumped forward. He was held down by the back of the neck as the two priests stepped into the dark archway. Not too long after they had gone, the Shadow Guards also disappeared.

Everything was quiet now, and except for Jonas and the muscular guy, the plaza appeared empty. Nathan couldn't bear to watch Jonas suffer another second and figured now was his opportunity to save him. But before he could decide on how to attack, Jonas had sprung to his feet, knocking his captor off balance.

Nathan took off running. He only had seconds to reach the top before the guy recovered. He knew Jonas didn't stand a chance while his hands were still tied. Nathan decided to ignore what he knew about the stone steps and ran up them anyway, carefully avoiding parts that were already crumbling. The hefty guy regained his balance and raised his hand to hit Jonas. Nathan also raised his hand, sending a big ball of energy straight into his back. The big guy slumped to the ground, and a huge look of relief washed over Jonas's face.

"Nathan!" he shouted joyfully. "I knew you would come! But how the heck did you cross over?"

Nathan untied the rope around Jonas's wrists and helped him to his feet. "I am surprised that I made it too," he said with a slight chuckle.

Jonas's eyes followed Nathan inquisitively.

"Let's just say I had some help along the way." He examined the bruise forming around Jonas's mouth and then scanned the plaza. "Now quickly," he said. "Where are the others?"

Jonas started to answer, but was interrupted by whooshing sounds coming from each archway. One by one, the Shadow Guards appeared, each one with a long silver sword held upright against their chests.

"Stay close to me," said Nathan. He tried to back up, but couldn't; they were all around them. Nathan opened his hand and formed an energy ball. He was prepared to fight for their lives. A few moments passed and the Shadow Guard in the archway to the right of them stepped aside. Two Scarlet Priests appeared, followed by another one. Nathan gasped.

"It's the priest with the crescent-shaped medallion," he muttered. 

Soon after, another red-hooded figure appeared, but this one was different: he was taller and stockier. Nathan caught a glimpse of his chiseled chin and whitish-blond hair and recognized him from his dream.

The blond figure removed his hood, revealing his ocean-blue eyes and luminous skin. His long hair was just as vibrant. He glared at Nathan and sighed heavily as if agitated by his presence.

"Do you want to die?" he asked with a devilish grin. His mesmerizing eyes scanned the plaza. "Stand down, or I will kill you myself."

Nathan's heart pounded against his chest, and he could feel the sweat accumulating on his forehead. He was about to close his hand, but he remembered how brave Jonas had been.

"No," he said, while gathering his courage. "I will not stand down. Give me back my friends!" 

The man with the chiseled chin snarled, revealing his perfect white teeth. "Stupid humans," he said.

In a blink of an eye, a flurry of what looked like red bolts of lightning sprung from the tips of his fingers.

Nathan tried to cast the energy ball in his hand, but dropped to his knees in pain. Jonas tried to get at the man but was knocked to the ground by another red bolt of lightning. 

The attack ceased, and Nathan felt like he had just been electrocuted. Smoke rose from the plaza floor and the clothes on his body.

The man laughed. "Humans. They get a little power, and they think they're invincible," he said. "Come, my dear. Please tell me, where did you find this one?"

From out of the shadows of the archway stepped the lady in white, the long train to her dress flowing behind her.

Nathan staggered to his feet and quickly blinked his eyes. He couldn't believe who was standing in front of him.

"Amanda?" he shouted. 

———————————————————

Thanks again for reading! 

And I would definitely appreciate your vote! :)