Chapter 21.4

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad!  Thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 21.4

Nathan struggled to free his hands, but couldn't.

Lauren held out her hand and Pius gave her the dagger. She violently pulled Leah by the hair and brought her face close to hers.

Leah screamed.

"And then," continued Lauren hysterically, while waving the blade in Leah's face, "because of all your whining you got yourself put in a mental hospital!"

"Let go of her, Amanda!" shouted Nathan angrily. He looked down and noticed that his hands were a bright red.

Lauren stopped to look at him, but she looked confused.

"Lauren, Amanda — whatever your name is — I said let go of her!"

She dramatically released Leah's hair and then headed towards Nathan. "My name is not Amanda!" she yelled. She gave the vial of blood to Pius and pointed the dagger at Nathan's throat. "I'm not done with you yet," she said. She glanced over at Steve and then gave Nathan a devilish smile. "I am going to have so much fun with you."

She laughed and looked up as if remembering something. "I've been called so many things over the years," she said. "The superfluous humans of Ancient Rome used to worship me as Volupia. I hated that name!" She playfully fluttered her eyes and waved the dagger carelessly in her hand. "Because I've found my love, I prefer Lauren now. Lucas and Lauren. It has a nice ring to it, don't you think?"

She smiled, stepped back and then slapped Nathan in the face. Nathan toppled to the ground and his entire head rang. It felt like a million little stings had landed on his face. He could taste the blood pooling in his mouth.

"Now quiet!" she shouted, her voice echoing around the plaza.

Nathan looked up from the plaza floor. His head continued to throb and his vision was fuzzy. He squinted, trying to make out the shapes in front of him, but then he heard Leah scream. "I can't believe this is happening," he protested to himself. He heard Leah scream again and chills shot down his back. "I have to save her!"

He was angry, but he could feel something else building inside of him. In the pit of his stomach, something burned. Nathan continued to work at the rope around his wrists and gritted his teeth in frustration. He blinked furiously, trying to restore his vision. Slowly, he was able to see again, and for a brief second he thought he saw a small dark shape dart behind a tomb on the second level. 

"I should drain you dry of blood before I get rid of you," Lauren shouted, severing Leah's ropes and raising the dagger in the air.

She grabbed Leah by the wrist, and Leah closed her eyes before turning away. Quickly, Lauren plunged the silver blade into her arm. Leah screamed in agony.

"No!" Nathan yelled. Instantly his hands stopped trembling, and the burning sensation in his hands now spread throughout his body. Nathan was enraged, but the energy intensifying inside of him felt peaceful. He gave in to the feeling, to the energy, as it consumed every inch of him. He thought he was going to explode; he felt like he was on fire.

The rope around Nathan's wrists sizzled, and it was consumed in a blue flame. Nathan looked down at the ashes from the rope and stood up. Without hesitating, he opened his palm and cast an energy ball at Lauren, followed by another.