Chapter 11.3

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad! Thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 11.3

Nathan and Malick walked back in silence. The sun had set, so it was dark now, and the trees made the forest even darker. The wind picked up and occasionally howled through the trees, providing them with frequent nudges down the trail. Nathan knew they were about halfway to the Cahokia Museum parking lot after catching a glimpse of the yellow ribbons floating in the wind.

He folded his arms across his chest and looked down, trying to create a little walking distance between himself and Malick. So, what was the point for coming all the way up here? he thought. Did he really think he was helping me to relax and to not worry so much?

Nathan glanced up at him and then allowed his gaze to wander into the forest. About one thing Malick had been right: his mind was definitely occupied lately.

Nathan knew exactly what he was worried about. He was really concerned about the dream he had had about Grimm Cemetery, particularly the part about the faceless hooded figures and the strange woman in white hurting Leah and his friends. But what was he supposed to say to Malick? More than anything, he wanted to tell someone. But Malick?

He glanced back at Malick. But why not Malick? Despite his failed attempt to cheer Nathan up, he had been the only one besides Lafonda to notice or care enough to say something to him about his change in behavior. But what would Nathan say, anyway, to him or anybody?

Nathan thought about how the conversation would go in his mind. Yeah, uh, I think I am having dreams about the future and I am pretty sure I dreamed about this girl Leah being attacked the night she was admitted to the hospital. And now I think Lafonda may die. And I have blue flames coming out of my hands. He chuckled. Oh, and if I haven't lost you yet — and you don't think I'm crazy — I kinda communicated with this dog the other day. I saw it running in the forest, and I think it saved my life.

It sounded ridiculous. Nevertheless, he figured he would at least say something to Malick after they entered the trail back to the lake. "So," he said, breaking the silence, "do you think we'll have enough time to set the fires before the others show up?"

Malick looked over his shoulder and grinned. "Oh," he said. "Are you talking to me?"

Nathan smiled. "Ha-ha," he said. "Very funny."

Malick grinned again. "Trust me. We'll make it."

"I don't know if I like the sound of that," replied Nathan.

Nathan and Malick stepped out of the forest and onto the beach of Lake Charleston. The cool breeze that was felt atop the cliffs still accompanied them and continued to provide a welcome relief. Nathan didn't stare as he normally did on first sight of the water.

"Where is Argus?" he said with a touch of panic. "We have to get these fires going."

"Relax," said Malick. "We still have time. I'm sure Argus just went back up to the Hiking and Camping Center." 

"You hope," responded Nathan. "How are we supposed to start the fires without lighter fluid?" He pulled out his cell phone and the light from the LCD screen illuminated his face. "They will be here any minute."