The Practice Kiss (Nejiten) (HS AU)

The Practice Kiss

Okay, so in honor of all you high school graduates out there, this is for you. And, it's another Nejiten story. I promise to try and diversify the pairings in the future... but the dynamic was just really right for this one. This is a fun little coming of age-ish story with lovesick Neji and oblivious Tenten. <3

Disclaimer: Wholesome, language probably.

AU: High school summer

----------

Tenten and Neji, best friends since practically forever, were eternally conjoined at the hip. They were a package deal, everyone knew that. The springy, cheerful, bun haired girl and her beautiful, yet cold, best friend were a strange pair at first glance, but it was apparent that they both cared for each other deeply and that more than made up for their differences. In high school, the two of them, along with their friend Lee, were very popular and well liked. Not that they cared about any of that stuff, they just made friends easily, especially Tenten. The three friends each had their own talents that set them apart. Lee, with his athleticism, Neji, with his ingenuity, and Tenten, with her easy going personality and charm. But, kids eventually grow up, and high school eventually ends. It was now time for the three of them to move on to the next step. Both Neji and Tenten were to attend Konoha university in the fall, and the future seemed to loom ominously upon them. For now however, the two best friends decided to put the world on hold as they laid on their favorite hill and watched the sky in a peaceful silence.

"Hey Neji?" Tenten asked.

Said boy looked at his best friend from the side. "Hm?"

"Are you scared?"

Neji was startled at this question. Her voice seemed pretty serious, yet her gaze never wavered from the clouds above her. "Scared for what?"

"Next year." She answered simply.

Neji thought about it for a moment. "No, not particularly."

"You aren't?"

He smiled at her, and she turned to face him finally. "Well, I'll have you, won't I? There's no need to be scared as long as we're together."

Tenten laughed at his newfound cheesiness, a sound that brought him a light feeling in his stomach and a smile on his face, a smile that was reserved for very few people, Tenten being one of them. "That's a cute sentiment Neji, but seriously."

He frowned. "I am serious."

Tenten sighed and looked back up toward the clouds. "Yeah, I guess you're right, but that's not exactly what I'm nervous for. I mean, there's so much I don't know."

"Hm. Like what? You were one of the top in our class, you're definitely well prepared for the workload."

"Yeah, I know..... I mean, that's not exactly it, I just...." She paused and looked around, as if trying to find her words. Finally, she sat up abruptly and looked down at Neji. "Have you ever kissed anyone?" She asked boldly.

"I....uh.... What?"

Tenten rolled her eyes. "You know... like, when you put your lips on someone else's?

"I'm familiar with the concept, Tenten."

"Well...." She prompted. "Have you ever done it?"

Neji winced. "Tenten... you know I never really had much time for that in our adolescent years..."

Tenten scoffed. "Yeah, lamentably against the wishes of like, every girl in our year."

'Except for you.' He thought bitterly. "But anyway...." He continued. "It is possible.... that I may have kissed.....Hinata once....."