The Sock on the Door (Shikatema)(College AU)

So, for those of you who don't know (I'm not sure if this is strictly like an American university thing or not) there's kind of an unwritten rule in college that if there's a sock on the door knob, you don't go in there. It basically means.... "Do not disturb." So, I wanted to have fun with this concept. :) Also: an RA is a student that stays in the building and basically serves as the person people complain to, and they get housing for free (most of the time). They are also usually supposed to snitch on everyone, but eh.

Disclaimer: Language and hintings at sex, but per usual, I don't write anything graphic so don't get excited

AU: University AU!

----------

It was no secret that Shikamaru Nara was the most useless RA of all time. How he was even given the position was a mystery to all. He wasn't really much of a "residential assistant" to anyone. He refused to do anything that required him the extra effort, like the one time Naruto Uzumaki broke his door, and Shikamaru just really couldn't give two shits about it. He was however, probably the smartest guy in the building, so it was no doubt that he knew how to solve whatever problem came his way, he was just two goddamn lazy to bother. The only thing that Shikamaru cared about was the free housing he got as part of the job. Oh, and that pretty (yet troublesome) girl in room 310. Ya, getting to see her every once in a while was a nice perk.

It was a Friday night and Shikamaru was enjoying his normal Friday night routine, as in falling asleep on the couch at 1am, when he received a noise complaint from the third floor. Of course, Shikamaru did what he normally did, and completely ignored the message. Until he received one again. And again. And again. Seriously. It's Friday night at a university dorm. What did you people expect, peace and quiet? Shikamaru deduced that the increased number in noise complaints must be because finals were to occur that week, and more people than usual were using their days to study. Although it was a giant pain, Shikamaru sympathized with these losers and decided to, for once, go interfere with whatever was happening on the third floor.

It took him a while to fully awaken and get his lazy ass up three flights of stairs, but as he walked down the hallway, he could fully understand why there were so many complaints. There was definitely a high level of noise considering the thin walls, and it was coming right outside of room 310. Even stranger however, was the blond girl sleeping out in the middle of the hallway, or at least trying to sleep.

"Temari?!"

Upon hearing her name, the girl sat up in confusion, and then grinned when she saw who called her. "Oh. Hey Nara." Her voice was still laced with the air of sleepiness, and Shikamaru felt his heart leap at her scratchy tone.

"Why are you asleep out in the hallway?"

Temari pointed to her door knob, which adorned a bright pink sock. Shikamaru resisted the urge to slap himself in the face. The reason why she wasn't in her room was pretty obvious.

"Oh. Ino's at it again?"

Temari sat up a little more and groaned. "Ya. Her and her new boyfriend Sai have been together a lot lately.... But seriously. You'd think she was killing someone in there."

Shikamaru shook his head in annoyance at his childhood friend. How could Ino so carelessly leave her roommate in the hallway like this? Someone could mug her! Or something....

He ripped the sock of the door knob and loudly knocked on the door. "Hey lovebirds! Be quiet, people are trying to sleep here!"

He heard an embarrassed squeal from the other side, which brought a smirk to his face. "Shikamaru, you asshole!" He heard Ino cry.

"Just doing my job..." He lazily called back to them.

He took Temari's hand and helped her up off of the floor. "They might be in there a while. Do you want to come stay in my room? I've got a couch that's much better than this floor if you want."

Temari looked at him skeptically. She basically only knew Shikamaru as Ino's friend and the lazyass RA, but she had always found him kind of cute, and his intelligence was definitely a turn on. She felt confident that he wouldn't be weird about the situation, and besides, he was right. The couch was much better than the hallway. "Sure." She smirked and took his hand. "Thank you."

Shikamaru brought Temari down to his room on the first floor, and led her to the infamous couch he had been sleeping on earlier. As Temari made herself comfortable on the couch, Shikamaru went back to close the door. Reaching stealthily around to the outside of the door, he took Ino's fluffy pink sock that was still in his hand and fastened it on the door knob.