𝐯𝐢. 𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐲 𝐝𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐦𝐦𝐚

Start from the beginning

     Zuko eyed the waitress from before, eyes lingering on her scar.

     "His wife was caught earth bending, and he was forced to detain her--hurt her," Sora continued, "but it ended up hurting him more than he could have ever believed."

     "Is that it?"

     "Well, the end of the story is that they chose each other instead of what others chose for them. And here they are now in Ba Sing Se--happy and in love. That's why their food is good and always will be good! Because it's what they chose; it's what they're happy about. They serve their love."

     "... Your logic doesn't make any sense. Being sappy doesn't mean you make good food."

     "I am offended on their behalf." Sora retorted, "Don't you find it meaningful? Or beautiful? I've been sticking by that story for years! He chose what made him happy, and out of that passion, he crafted his destiny! That was what the point; that was the moral!"

     "And let me guess, because of them, it inspired you to follow your own happiness, right?" Zuko rolled his eyes.

     "Well, yes." Sora pouted, upset with his straightforwardness "I perform because I want people to remember that fun and happiness still exists and that they can find it with the Duchess Phoenix. It makes me happy to see other people happy. Though I don't think you'll ever get it... does what you do even make you happy?"

     Zuko furrowed his eyebrows as if telling her that she was walking on thin ice.

     Slightly more hesitant, Sora continued slowly, "--Finding the Avatar, I mean. Does it even make you happy?"

     "Restoring my honor does." He said sternly, "That's all that matters."

     "If you think about it that way then, how do you know if any of that even connects at all?"

     "What are you trying to say?"

     "What if finding the Avatar isn't what restores your honor?"

     Zuko huffed, "It's my duty to. I was exiled so I could do this; it's my destiny."

     "Well then, if destiny dictates us, I wonder if destiny is any good or bad," Sora argued, upset with their crossing of words.

     "...Are you saying I'm evil for wanting to capture the Avatar?"

     Sora looked away from him, feeling a bit sorry, "If the Avatar is turned over to the fire nation, the Fire Nation'll dominate the world, right? That's the point. That may be good for you, but for others, it's terrible."

     "Well, if the Avatar succeeds then my father dies, and that's good for you, right? It's terrible for me."

     Caught in their heated discussion, they hadn't realized the waitress that had been waiting near their table to take their order. The woman smiled sheepishly but proceeded to ask them anyway if they were ready to order. Zuko and Sora looked at each other embarrassingly before telling the waitress what they wanted. Hopefully, she didn't hear any of that is what both of their faces read. After, they sat in uncomfortable silence until Sora finally spoke.

     "Destiny is a weird thing. A wise guy once told me that people should always have an open mind about destiny because usually, they aren't what we think. Sometimes, I wonder if destiny even exists at all. You know, maybe we just decide for ourselves, and everything is random."

     Zuko's interest was piqued, but he still couldn't care less for more bouts of confusing wisdom than what his uncle already shoved into him daily.

    "Hm, but I guess the question shouldn't be if it's real, though, right? It should be if we know what we want to do with our lives." Sora looked up at him expecting a reply.

     Zuko stared back, "...Am I supposed to say something about that?"

     "Uh, yes, maybe?" Sora said sarcastically.

     Zuko sighed deeply before deciding to reply (albeit tiresomely), "Okay, you're right. It's because regardless if we decide it or not, it only matters if we know what we want to do with our lives."

     "Yes, exactly!" Sora beamed, too excited to see him engaging with her to notice that he had just repeated what she had initially said, "I'm glad we agree on something."

     Their food arrived shortly after, laying upon them another uncomfortable silence. It was impossibly awkward. They eventually ate but it was only in silence. It didn't help either that they were further from the crowds; it was just as quiet inside as it was outside. After a few more minutes, Zuko finally decided to speak about what he had been wondering about.

     "Why are you so obsessed with destiny anyway?"

     "I don't know." She replied, mouth half stuffed, "Aren't you?"

     "Not really. I already know mine."

     "You're sure?"

     "Yes." He replied as if saying I just said so.

     "Well, I thought I knew mine years ago until I didn't." Sora explained absentmindedly amidst her chews, "You should keep an open mind; maybe you're like the chef. After all, you're only going after the Avatar so you can get back into the Fire Nation, right? Seems pretty impossible anyway."

     This irked Zuko, releasing the flood of annoyance he had been trying so hard to hold back for manners' sake like a string stretched too far and breaking. Perhaps it was because of how she was so carelessly judging him--food stuffed into her mouth. Perhaps it was the judgment itself, but why would he be upset if it was anything short of true? Perhaps it was the dilemma about destiny that upset his inner compass so dearly or perhaps it was just hearing that his ventures were bound to be fruitless. Either way, it didn't matter. He was irritated.

     "Why are you so obsessed with me, anyway? I know you're not Shei; I get it. You don't have to keep seeing me." He argued, "Why do you care so much about what I do with my life?"

     "I never said you should do anything." She defended.

     "Then shut up! I don't need to hear half-baked wisdom from a washed-up circus freak."

     "Where did that come from?" Sora stood up. raising her voice, "You know, at least I care about what I want because, apparently, you only care about what the Fire Lord does!"

     "You don't even know anything about me!" Zuko shouted, "It's what I want too."

     "You know, somehow," Sora chuckled, almost mockingly, "I'm really struggling to believe that."

     Another heavy silence met them as they stared icy daggers at each other. Clearly, they were coming from two different emotional centers. Sora felt one way and Zuko another. Perhaps they were eye-to-eye, but neither wished to step down to reach the other. Who's to say who was right though when all points were based on assumptions?

     "I don't care," Zuko walked to the exit, "about what you think."

     "Gee, I guess that explains why you care so much about what everyone else does then."

──────⊹⊱✫⊰⊹──────

"My destiny...Is to capture the Avatar, so I can restore my honor. That's my destiny. That's..."