EIGHTEEN

❝So, it was a misunderstanding all this time?❞

Aayan was in pain. So much that he actually wanted to shed a tear or two. The lower part of his spine was particularly burning due to the way he had fell backwards, and he couldn't get up from the lying position. There were rocks and branches sticking into his skin at the arms which were left bare due to his vest. Ifrah's constant calls to him were the only thing keeping him from yelling out because he didn't want to let her know how bad his condition was down here.

“For the love of Allah! Please answer me, Aayan! Did you break a bone or something?” she asked with clenched teeth, her face covered in tears.

They were doing fine just a few moments ago!

The raven haired guy took a few deep breaths before replying in a strained voice. “Y-yeah, I'm fine,” he gulped. “Nothing is broken.”

He really hoped so.

“Then why can't you get up, huh? Tumhy mein pagal nazar ati hun?” (Do you think I'm crazy?) she glared at him. She knew he wasn't telling her; his face was all red and crunched up like he was really hurt.

He let out a groan before staring up at her. She looked so far away.

“Will you please get a hold of yourself? Your panicking is not gonna help us.”

Ifrah snapped her mouth shut and leaned back. He was right. She was being stupid. She rubbed her eyes to get rid of the tears before leaning over once again. Aayan was trying to get up and she watched with her hands clenched tightly as his expressions morphed into a pained one before he was successful in standing on his staggering feet. His chest was moving up and down in a fast pace as he tried to gather his breath and her heart cracked.

It really hurt her to see him in pain.

“You okay?” she asked in a thick voice, trying so hard to keep her emotions in check.

Aayan gave her a nod before looking up. “Yeah. Are you okay?” he asked.

How could he make her heart flutter even in a situation like this?!

She quickly bobbed her head in reply and he looked back down. When his breathing had returned to normal, he placed his hand on the mud wall to support himself before coming to the spot from where his wife was leaning over to watch him. Aayan slumped down on the ground ever so slowly after reaching there and closed his eyes.

His back felt like someone had bashed it with a fücking hammer.

“Ifrah?” he called with his eyes still closed.

She immediately tilted a bit forward to hear him, his voice was rather low. “Yes? I'm right here.”

She was adorable.