CHAPTER: 45| THE GAME (PART-1)

Start from the beginning

Early morning, Aariz hit the streets in his khakhi half-pants and neon-striped sneakers, his hoodie pulled over his head and zipped half way up his torso. He started the pedometer on his watch and put on his air pods, turning the volume high.

Thought I found a way,
Thought I found a way(I found),
But you never go away(never go away),
So I guess I gonna stay now,
Oh I hope someday I'll make it out of here,
Even if it takes all night or a hundred years,
Need a place to hide but I can't find one near,
Wanna feel alive, outside I can fight my fear,
Isn't lovely, all alone?
Heart made of glass, my mind of stone,
Tear me to pieces, skin to bones.
Hello, welcome home.

He got lost in the music as he jogged his way down the cemented sidewalk, the atmosphere around him, pleasant, calm and tranquil. The wind felt chilly against his skin and the air smelled of mud and decayed woods. It had rained the previous night and traces of it were still lingering every where. Dump roads. Drenched buildings and woods. And rain drops on the leaves. The streets were empty except for early workers idling here and there, riding bicycles or pushing the carts.

Aariz returned to the Haveli after about half an hour, nodding at the guards who greeted him at the gate before padding his way towards the building. He climbed up the porch steps, taking two at a time and shoulder barged inside, pushing through the main doors.

He went to the kitchen and popped the refrigerator door open. He squatted down, picked up a bottle of water, twisted the cap open and was gulping from it when he heard someone entering the kitchen.

He called over to the person from where he was, "Do you mind brewing me some coffee?" He requested, without really looking at who it was as he resumed emptying the water bottle.

"Sure."

Aariz stopped drinking when he recognised the voice. He peeked his head over the refrigerator door and saw Laiba opening and closing the cabinet, her back to him.

He, suddenly, remembered how he had lashed out at her for staying alone at the Haveli, last evening. She hadn't came in front of him since then. Prolly skipped dinner, again. Which he noticed she did a lot. Especially when something goes down between them.

He didn't wish to be rude to her but she always ended up pissing him off and bringing the worst out of him.

Aariz stood up and kicked the refrigerator door close behind him.

He made his way towards the sink and tossed the empty bottle into trash bin, "I didn't know it was you." He faced her, stuffing his hands in his hoodies pockets.

From her peripheral view, Laiba could see him standing a few feet away from her but she continued to scan the contents in the cabinet, "Do you know where they keep sugar and coffee powder here?" She queried him instead.

"The cabinet on your left. Second shelf." He instructed.

She swung the cabinet door on her left wide open to find the glass jars lined up on the shelf.

"Right." She grabbed the jars of coffee powder and sugar, "Thanks." She said as she turned around, placing the jars on the countertop, next to the stove.

Aariz leaned against the countertop across from her and watched as she put the kettle to boil. She grabbed two mugs from the stand and added sugar and coffee powder into the mugs before adding some water and mixing them well.