Chapter Two

Chapter Two

"Okay!" Marissa chimed as she exited the try-outs and walked up to stand on the small stage. She was faced with four angled full-length mirrors and spotlights were focused on her, making the already shimmery fabric glint, making Leila squint in the process. "What do you think?"

She cleared her throat and sat up straighter on the guest seat. There was only the two of them at the boutique, as it was still seven in the morning. Marissa had insisted on them waking up early to avoid the rush, so all the good pieces would still be there. Leila was surprised to even find the shop open at that hour.

Apart from herself sitting on the couch and Marissa twirling proudly before the mirror, the place was empty. And that, of course, was excluding the fact that Rosaline was still standing by the cashier, holding out a catalog and burying her face within the pages.

Leila straightened her back, looking up closely at the gown that Marissa sported. It was a tulle, glittery, strapless white formal dress. It had a daring curve on the neck, fitting her upper half perfectly. The waist-area was covered in small off-white pearls lined in three horizontal rows, reflecting whatever source of light that fell on it. Then it went all fluffy and loose from the waist down, slightly trailing down to the floor as she moved, taking her look from different angles.

"Way too extravagant, isn't it?" She asked with a frown, letting out a disappointed huff. That was the seventh dress she had tried out and her excitement was slowly starting to falter.

Leila didn't understand her point. The girl was gorgeous, with curves just in the right places. None of those gowns she had fit into would be described ugly on her, not even close. She was probably just being whiny. Couldn't she blame her, it was the day of her life.

"I think it's good," She simply replied shrugging her shoulders. Marissa turned to face her with a scowl on her face.

"Leila, you are not helping," She complained, pulling her hair up in a messy bun as she looked back to her sparkling reflection. She looked more like a Disney princess. "I should have called David. I'm sure he would have been of more use."

"I can call him for you," Leila suggested, pulling out her phone from her pocket, proceeding to search for his number.

Marissa groaned in response. "Don't call him; he's a walking fashion disaster," She protested. "That was supposed to lift your energy a little, so you could participate."

Leila shook her head as she returned the phone to its former place. Like she was actually going to call him. She just didn't want Marissa to suspect anything.

She had lied to her the other night, when she said that she had talked to him. The truth was, she never answered his calls, nor did she call him back. Her phone had buzzed a million times since that night, receiving tons of missed calls and messages. Leila believed that the phone was going to explode if one more message was sent.

She just couldn't reply to him. She was worried, afraid. She didn't know what to say, yet.

"I know someone else who could help," Marissa retorted, glancing straight behind her. Leila sighed as she looked back to see Rosaline still standing there, tapping her foot against the porcelain floor.

"Hey, Rosy!" Marissa called, trying to catch her attention. The place was so wide that her voice echoed against the walls.

"It's Roux," Rosaline corrected without looking back. The assistant sent her a funny look and rolled her eyes.

"I need a little help over here," Marissa asked.

"It looks fantastic, Marissa," She snarled, her voice lacking the much needed enthusiasm.