Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

"Come on, Zoe can't be that bad."

"But she is."

"You're exaggerating, Leila."

"You didn't see how she treated me earlier. It's so clear that she hates me."

"That's logical. I'd praise her for it."

Leila looked up with narrowed eyes at David, who gulped slowly with a timid smile on his face. He pulled the key out of the ignition, killing the engine. Leila sat back in her seat and sighed.

"She's going to be there, isn't she?" She asked, as he hand massaged her temples.

"That's a stupid question - of course she is going. She's my cousin," David snorted.

"Well, it's not your wedding. She doesn't have to attend," Leila stated her opinion, but in return she received a flat look. Heaving a sigh, she unlocked her door with slumped shoulders. A light breeze of air seeped into the car.

"Don't worry. It'll be okay! You can just avoid hanging out with her," David suggested, but Leila ignored him. She stepped out into the pavement and closed the side door. She glanced up to see that a thin layer of gray covered up the sky. The sunlight struggled to reach through, but succeeded only slightly.

A while later, David followed her out of the car. His poster straightened, as if preparing for a blow. "Come on, Leila. That's the stupidest thing we've ever had a fight over."

"If you see it that way," She muttered, staring at the vast parking lot around her. Endless rows of cars situated the slots, to the point where Leila's eyesight couldn't make. David's Ferrari really stood out amongst other's Chevrolet's and Toyota's.

She heard David's groan of frustration as he approached her. Luckily, the lot was empty; which granted them both some privacy. She was sure nobody would even be interested in their fight.

"Fine! You stated your point. You hate it, and you have all the right to be. What am I supposed to do about it, huh? Should I kill her, or banish her to the outskirts of Scotland? Anything to satisfy your majesty."

Leila crossed her arms over her chest and turned to face him with a frown. "You can at least be just a little supportive and stop being sarcastic about it."

David rolled his eyes. His foot stomped the ground impatiently. "You need to grow up, Leila. You're not a child in your parents' house anymore. You can't expect to have everything that you want right under your nose. It doesn't work that way, so suck it up and learn to deal with it. That's how life goes, we all suck it up."

"And you do?" Leila snapped, unhooking her arms and dropping them by her sides. "You think that's how you suck it up? By unleashing your rage upon me? You hate me because you don't want to disappoint me? You have a destructive past and you abuse me for it - , is that what you consider to be 'dealing with it'? Because I don't think other people do it this way, at all."

For the first time after bringing the past events, David didn't react to it the same way. He didn't stiffen, nor did his back hunch or his shoulders loosen. He didn't close his eyes as if the words had hurt his pride. He stared right back at her, wearing a neutral expression on his face. They were less than a meter away, yet she couldn't feel the tension. It was as if it had evaporated into the air. It worried her. His sudden exchange confused her mind. She didn't know what to expect from him at that exact moment.

"You can't expect me to obey you, if you're not doing it yourself," She stated defensively. Her hands locked behind her back. "Look at us, arguing like an old couple fight over the remote controller."