Epilogue

Epilogue

"Watch out, Caleb!" Leila yelled and rolled the steering wheel, averting the direction of the car. She pushed the gas and slipped into an empty slot. The parking lot wasn't very crowded, yet.

Leila huffed and sat back in her chair. She spun around to face the backseat, where a three-year-old sat; his legs dangling over the edge of his seat. A pile of curly brown hair framed his chubby face, but it wasn't large enough to mask the pair of sparkling blue eyes that glimmered with mischief underneath.

"How many times have I told you not to pop your head out of the window?" She snapped as her eyes narrowed in his direction. Caleb smiled back innocently at her.

"But I didn't do anything," He whined, shaking his tiny sneakered feet in the air.

"Of course you didn't," Leila scoffed, turning around to pull the key out of the ignition. The noise from the engine died out almost immediately. "I just happened to be going through a series of hallucinations."

A noise caught her attention and she looked up. Through the dimmed glass of the windows, the front door was swung open, revealing a long, fine lady in a modern-day attire.

A veiled, long, fine lady to be precise.

"Granny!" Caleb screamed and pressed his face against the window. He lifted his hand and waved at her, to which he received a bright smile.

Leila grabbed the controller and pressed the lock button. A clicking sound erupted, followed by the whoosh produced by Caleb as he swung the side door open and slipped out into the front lawn with a high-pitched giggle. A cold breeze seeped into the car before it swung the door back shut. She sighed and rested her hands over the steering wheel.

Caleb raced through the grass in his shorts and tank top, and ran up to his grandmother, wrapping his small arms around her legs. Julia laughed and knelt down carefully to pick him up in her hands.

"He's going to be fine, you know," A voice caught her attention and she inhaled, leaning back in her seat. She tilted her head to see David in the passenger seat, clad in his regular outfit that consisted of a shirt and slacks. His hair was swept to one side, glistening under the sunlight. A pair of shades covered most of his forehead along with his eyes. The corners of his lips twitched up in a smile."You're overreacting."

"I'm not overreacting," She protested. "I'm just. . ."

"Worried. I know," He finished the sentence for her. "Aren't we all?"

She nodded in agreement. Julia stepped aside and led Caleb into the family mansion, pointing her finger towards something she couldn't see. A wave suddenly came, threatening to loosen the shawl woolen draped over her shoulders. She gripped it tighter to keep it in place and held up her hand in a wave for them.

"Your Mom says hi," She announced and craned her neck to focus on his reaction. His face was blank. She would have known what he was thinking, not for the huge glasses covering his face. "How're you feeling now?"

"Cold," David replied.

"Don't play jokes on my, David. I'm serious," She snapped. "If you're not okay, we can just turn around and leave. It's no big deal."

"You wouldn't do it." He shook his head in response.

"Oh! And how would you know?" She questioned.

"I know you. You wouldn't do it."

"Try me," She fired and slid the key back into the ignition. The engine roared back to life, highlighting David's protest.

"Okay! Okay! You would. I believe you," He corrected, holding his hands up at her. "I'm going to handle it. I promise."