Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Flowers.

Flowers.

Flowers everywhere.

That was all a person could see whenever they set foot at the church. Leila caught her breath in anticipation as she took slowly, reluctant steps into the old property. The wooden tiles cracked beneath her weight and she paused at the edge of a long, crimson red carpet that extended along the length of the aisle. Rows of empty seats of the matching wooden paneling lined both sides of the altar. Layers of fluffy linen fabrics coated the backs, illuminating the hall. The walls stood high into the sky, ending in a concave ceiling to concentrate the light. A familiar military feeling filled the air that was accentuated with the paintings that were carved to the bricks, hung on the walls or made up from the gathering of semi-transparent pieces of glass.

Leila stared in amazement as a dozen of employees went by, instructing each other and popping up suggestions. It was the first time she had ever been to a church. It wasn't common for the native citizens to visit churches in his country. She only saw ones in the movies and TV shows. This was all new to her. At the far end of the aisle, she caught a glimpse of her auburn-haired friend standing across from her husband-to-be - , the only thing separating them was the priest. He was a small man with white hair and a short beard, dressed in the formal uniform. A large book lay in his shaking hands, which she concluded was the bible.

As soon as she saw her, Marissa paused her rehearsal and practically ran the length of the carpet, careful not to trip and fall in the seven inch heels she was wearing.

"Leila! Oh my God! I missed you so, so much," She gnawed and engulfed her in a tight hug that crushed her bones. Leila shifted uncomfortably underneath her and Marissa caught the hint. She rapidly pulled away.

"Oh, God! I can't believe you didn't tell me you returned. I'm so happy to see you," She exclaimed and held into Leila's arm. Her eyes were twinkling in delight. "Come on. Let's take a seat and you can tell me how your trip went."

"Are you sure I haven't interrupted anything?" Leila asked warily as Marissa guided her to one of the benches.

"Not at all. We've done it so much already. It's a waste of time. Robin is always too punctual. He fears that one of us might slip and say the wrong thing. He's just overreacting," She assured her and took a seat. Leila followed.

"This is a beautiful place," She admitted, looking around with a smile.

Marissa nodded eagerly. "I know. That's why I chose it," She said and rested her arm across the back of the bench. She was dressed in a casual tee and washed jeans. Her hair was pulled up in a messy bun. It was refreshing to see her not being all too formal. "Now quit stalling. How did your trip with Mr. Mysterious Guy go?"

"Do you want me to lie or tell the truth?" Leila asked and relaxed in her seat. How long had it been? Two weeks? Three?

"That depends," Marissa replied with a flirtatious wink.

"Well." Leila sat back up and started. "I told him about that party incident."

"That's a brave move," Marissa praised. "How did he take it?"

Leila shrugged her shoulders. "Not well."

"Ugh!" Marissa huffed and slumped on the bench. "Typical David. He's always complaining."

"He wants to break up with me," Leila continued.

"Jesus Christ!" Marissa jumped, startling the workers nearby. She mumbled an apology and turned to face Leila. "Is he out of his mind?"