vera

This is set during Scorpius' 6th year at hogwarts, its a short about how he met Vera a first year girl who is being bullied about her identity.

"You can't go in there, thats the girls toilet." I heard a sharp girls voice scoff.

"I am a girl"

I stepped around the corner and stopped, two 3rd years were blocking the entrance to the girls bathroom.

"What's going on?" I ask raising an eyebrow.

One of the girls looks up and pauses, a small first year was looking down at there feet with tears leaking down there face.

"This "boy" is trying to use the girls bathroom." The first girl spat.

I glance at her confused. I remember dad telling me that there was a first year who didn't identify as the gender they were born as and that there parents were less than accepting.

"You should watch your tongue, wouldn't want you to bite it off." I say to her.

Both of the 3rd year girls look shocked, like they hadn't expected me to defend the girl they were bullying.

"Get to class before I call the head of your house." I threaten.

They quickly scurry off casting me dirty looks. The first year girl tries to go to but I stop her.

"Use the bathroom, I'll wait here in case someone else tries something."

She looks up at me with bright greatful eyes and rushes into the toilet, when she comes out she looks much happier.

"Thank you, no ones ever stood up for me before."

Shes wearing slytherin colours but i can't remember her from the sorting. I also notice she's wearing the male uniform but tied the robe to make it look like a dress.

"If you want." I start. "I think I can organise a proper uniform for you."

She looked at me curiously.

"No girl should be wearing a males uniform."

Her cheeks turned red and she began crying again. Shoot, I didn't mean to offend her.

"I'm sorry, did I say something wrong? What can I do to fix it?"

"No, you didn't do anything wrong, no ones ever accepted me like you have before, let alone been kind enough to offer me female clothing." She wiped the tears away with the palm of her hands.

I let out a soft sigh and shook my head, it shouldn't matter what people identified as or the colour of there skin people should be treated with respect, unless they're d#cks. Everyone is valid.

"Look, I have a friend who is a girl so maybe she can lend you some skirts until we can get you your own." I say uncomfortable with her crying. "Rose is really cool too you'll like her, come with me."

I start to walk away when I realise, I havn't asked her name.

"I'm Scorpius, what's you're name?"

"Luke." She mumbles sadly.

I stop.

"That is a boys name, what's your name?" I press.

"I- I like to think my name is Vera." She whispers.

"Then, I will call you Vera."