Chapter Forty Eight

Start from the beginning

The photographer retreated under the black sheet behind the camera as he counted down aloud.

The couple stared at the camera and held their position, refusing to flinch as the flash filled their scopes.

Evelyn hummed, admiring how beautiful Beatrice had carried herself. It seemed as though she was not the only one who noticed; others in the room also found themselves smiling at the woman who had achieved a fairytale.

It looked simpler than the reality they had coursed through. That they would continue to course through.

Tobias sighed in relief as a servant removed the heavy mantle from his shoulders. He stood, helping Beatrice to her feet as well. She smiled at him, wanting to preserve this delicate moment.

"The photograph will be distributed in every newspaper tomorrow morning," Will informed after be bowed to his new direct employer. "I have arranged for you and Beatrice to take a carriage ride throughout the kingdom, greeting the people, in a couple of days."

She widened her eyes, giddy. "How exciting," she whispered.

Will chuckled. "It is important to keep up this loving image to the kingdom as to ease them into more acceptance of your marriage," he looked around before leaning in. "If today serves as any indication, it would seem many young women see you as a fairytale come to life, and our prince as a..." he hesitated, uncomfortable. "...a romantic symbol."

Beatrice and Tobias laughed.

Tobias sighed and nodded for Will to follow him outside. "Make sure the photographer hands us a copy, and frame it when you receive it."

Will nodded and turned to speak with the photographer.

Evelyn made her way to Beatrice. Beatrice paused at the sight, quickly forming a curtsey. 

"Now that the announcement will be released, you must get going with the invitations," Evelyn explained, getting right to the point. "I would be more than happy to offer my assistance."

Beatrice smiled and nodded. "Of course. It would be an honor."

"Yes," she smiled back. "I have also prepared for you etiquette classes to prepare you for your entry into society," she started to walk, which prompted Beatrice to hurry to her side. "As a representative of the crown, Miss Prior, you need to exude royalness. The tutor will help you."

Beatrice tried to mask her sudden disappointment and slight shame. "I understand."

"Lovely," Evelyn replied, content her soon-to-be daughter-in-law was being compliant. "Do arrange a time to visit me in my bureau so we could complete those wedding invitations."

Beatrice curtseyed and watched the Queen's feet leave her vision. She glanced up, clutching the fabric of her dress. With a shaky breath, she turned away from the drawing-room, seeking solace in a quieter place.