Chapter 71

Not About Angels- Birdy inspired a bit of this chapter :(

Ella's POV

"I scraped my knee mummy!" A girl with long, blonde curly hair cries on the warm sidewalk, lying in the summer sun. Tears stream down her face as she puts pressure to the wound, wincing in agonizing pain.

Her mother runs up, and kneels just beside her, examining the scratch. Her wavy, similar blonde hair falls in front of her face and she smiles softly. "This is nothing my love."

"But it hurts!" She wines, and pouts. "Kiss it?"

Her mother laughs lightly, and rubs her daughters cheek, gently and lovingly to soothe her.

"I won't kiss it baby." She shakes her head, causing the little girl to frown slightly.

"Why not?"

The gash continues to burn her skin, reminding her of her immediate past mistake, learning how to ride a bike.

"Because you have to learn what it's like to be hurt, and heal. I can't always heal you." She brushes the little girls bangs off her forehead, and leans down to kiss the bare skin. "You're a strong little girl, I know you are."

"You think so?"

"I know so." She nods affirmatively, and grabs a hold of her tiny hand. "You're strong, and you'll learn how to stand on your own. Even when in pain. You'll learn how to heal through the biggest, most painful cuts all on your own. And I'm going to let this be the first. Because Ella, I promise this won't be the last one."

The little girl sits up, and leans back on her hands for support, looking into her mothers eyes.

"Now you have to get up Ella." Her facial expression shifts to one of worry, and fear while the sky behind her turns dark, filled with storm clouds striking the land with lightning. "You have to get up NOW Ella."

The girls eyes weigh down heavily, slowly losing consciousness while the vision of her mother fades away with the sky.

"Get up!" She screams one final time, before vanishing all at once.

--

My eyes flash open, and I stare at a strange man standing above me. The deafening noise of gunfire blows in my ears, jolting me awake even more.

"Who are you?!" I shake violently, and try to make out his features. It's hard to see him at all, hidden behind this row of boxes piling above him and around us. He reminds me a bit of Zayn, except with short black hair, brushed up into a quiff, wearing a heavy black knit sweater. His tattoos are barely visible on his neck, covering the skin entirely. The only thing missing would be a nose and lip ring just like Zayn.

"Relax babe, my name is Jamie. I'm here to help you!" He holds me tight by the shoulders, stopping me in place and pinning me against the floor. "I'm going to help you get out of here okay?"

I study his face for a minute, deciding if I have any trust left to give anyone at the moment. After all, everyone I thought I trusted has been against me for I don't know how long. Yet this stranger comes along, the same way Zayn did, and asks for my trust.

Over my dead body.

"No, I'm not going with you!" I pull away, and sit up quickly, making my head spin. "I can't trust you! Why should I?!"

"Because it was Zayns plan to save you in the first place. He's the reason I'm here." He watches me as I grip the box next to me, and pull myself up in pain.