Chapter 3

I really hate funerals.

The circumstances right now make me hate them even more actually.

I'm surrounded by familiar faces although no names come to mind. That just shows me how often they were around in my life. When I was a little girl, my parents really never saw any family members. Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, not even the damn fourth of July. They never explained why that was though, all I knew was that they just never found the time to come see us. And we never made the time to go see them. In this moment though, none of that really bothers me. Sure I could live without the pity hugs and the millions of condolences only making me feel worse, but at least they were here and it showed me they cared.

"Ella?" A small, fragile woman calls from behind me.

I look down and see her silver hair first, and her glossy green eyes looking up at me. I recognize this woman, and memories of late night tuck ins, and bed time stories flood my mind.

"Nan?" I whisper, taken back by her appearance.

I remember her having short, brown hair just touching her shoulders, hardly visible wrinkles starting to form on her face. Her emerald eyes looking down at me, as she always told me how beautiful I was and that I would become a gorgeous young lady some day before she shut off my bedroom light.

"Yes, it's been years huh?" She chuckles as she sees the shock plastered on my face.

"Oh my god, yes!" I exclaim, mixed emotions running wild in my head.

I'm so glad to see her and grateful she's well, but I also remember she's one of the people who I haven't seen in years for a reason I'm not sure of. Without thinking, I embrace her tightly, slightly because I don't want her to leave again, to never see me for another ten years, to walk out of my life.

"I'm sorry for your loss love," she breathes into my neck as I release her.

She was your daughter too.

"What do you mean my loss? She was your daughter as well" I question, confused by her words.

"I know, and I'm sorry my words didn't come out the way I intended them too. Although your mother and I were never on the best terms." She glances down at the gray, brown ice between us rubbing her boot into it.

"I loved her Ellana, don't doubt that." She grasps my hands, and squeezes them tightly as she slowly walks away to join a group of more family I fail to recognize.

This day has been too much for me to handle. My emotions are jumbled in the best and worst way. I'm just wondering how many people here would second her opinion. ThAt they were never on the best terms with my mum. I honestly would rather not know, so I call a cab to pick me up and take me back to my dorm. Where my freshman year at college can begin and I can hopefully leave this chapter in my life behind.

~ I arrive at the University of Westminster, where my hopes for starting over begin to rise. Snow falls around my feet, and leaves a thin layer of white powder on top of my black beanie and my trench coat. I didn't realize how long this day actually was. I visited my father, and left with information and I wasn't exactly looking for, I met a mysterious new boy named Zayn, and attended my mums funeral. I guess one good thing out of three works for me considering the circumstances.

I stare up at the rather large building as the lights inside leave a bright enough glow to bring out the sign UNIVERSITY OF WESTMINISTER.

"To new beginnings" I think to myself, hoping that's exactly what the next four years will bring me,

I open the glass doors, and make my way to the elevators leading up to my dorm. Before I went to visit Michael, I unpacked the majority of my belongings since I've been here about a week so I should be able to crash tonight.

"Do you actually go here or are you stalking me?" A voice startles me, extracting me from my thoughts. Although, within that voice, the thick British accent and the oh so evident sarcasm lets me know exactly who it is without looking up.

It's Zayn.

"I should be asking you the same thing." I retort, a smirk forming on my lips as I hit the elevator button.

"Luckily for you-"

"Luckily?" I gape at his words.

"Yes luckily," he laughs, his smile lifting my mood above the clouds "As I was saying, luckily for you I'll be here for the next four years studying Law."

"Well now I'm convinced you're stalking me because that's what I'm studying." I giggle as the elevator bell finally dings and the glass doors open.

I turn around and he propped his elbow up against the sliding door in the most casual yet attractive way.

"No, Ellana if anybody's stalking you it isn't me." He smirks and glances down at his shoes. His words throw me off a bit, but I push my worries to the side. I post my hand up above me against the elevator wall and lean in close to his face as my voices drops to a whisper.

"Zayn, unless there's something you'd like to tell me and you plan on going to the girls dorms, then I suggest you get off the door so I can leave." I slowly back away and rest against the glass. He smirks at me, and bites the metal ring on his lip.

A nervous habit I suppose.

He lifts his hands up in surrender. "Hey, I'll leave. But I'll see you around right?"

He makes it so easy.

"Don't flatter yourself love." I glare at him, flirtatiously, secretly hoping he won't take my death stare seriously. Instead he laughs, a serious full hearted bellow. He continues his laugh as he lets go of the door and walks away, sliding his hands into the pockets of his leather jacket.

"Don't lie to yourself mate!" He calls, leaving a trail of his contagious laughter behind him and around me, plastering a smile on my face.