Chapter 48

"Tell me about these pictures though." He smiles, and sips his tea.

"What do you want to know?" I scan the pictures, remembering each and every moment as if it were yesterday.

"Well, when is your birthday because I see a birthday picture here. Must've been good cake for it to be plastered all over your face." He chuckles, and I can't help but smirk at the messy blue eyed girl.

"August 19th. I just turned nineteen before starting school."

"Oh, turning nineteen on the nineteenth? Isn't there some myth about that coincidence?" He frowns.

"It's not a coincidence if it's been my birthday for the last eighteen years Zayn." I retort sarcastically, and he glares at me.

"Well, a very belated happy birthday Ella. I hope next year gives you more reasons to smile than this shitty year did." Leaning back in his chair, he adjusts his jacket and places his mug of tea on the table between us. "Now again, tell me about these pictures."

"I think it's best not to talk about the pictures themselves, but just tell you my experience behind them." I sigh, and look up to see him frowning behind me.

"James?" He calls, and I turn around to see James smile and wave at us before rushing over to our table.

"Haven't seen you both in a while! How are you mate? I'm sorry Ella, nice to see you again. Hope I was helpful in your search for information." He nods, flashing a perfect smile at me.

"Actually I haven't been able to contact that David guy you told me about because Zayn never have me the number back."

He glares at Zayn, rolling his eyes.

"That's fine, here I'll write it again." He pulls a napkin from the dispenser, and uses a pen from his jacket to jot down the number.

"I don't think-"

"Zayn please, I need to do this." I interrupt him, and he stares at me wide eyed for my bold move.

"I'm trying to fucking protect you from getting hurt, and you won't let me!" He argues, folding his hands and leaning over the table towards me. The metal rings on his fingers cover the ink on his skin, and shine in the gray light from outside.

"You can't protect me from everything!" I bite my lip nervously, waiting for his reaction.

He reaches out, and tugs my lip from my teeth. "Stop biting your lip you'll cut yourself."

"Jesus fucki- you two sound like an old married couple!" James huffs, and passes me the paper. I stuff it in my jacket before Zayn can take it away again. "And she's right mate, you can't protect her from everything."

They exchange glances, that I'm not exactly comfortable with. I would like to be in on whatever it is they're discussing telepathically.

"Fine." I hear him sigh, and stare at my hands.

"Okay Ella, love, that's the number. Feel free to call whenever you'd like." He smiles warmly at me, before turning to Zayn.

"I'll see you at work then? You haven't been around lately."

"Yeah I'll see you soon." He mumbles, but glares at me and doesn't bother to look away.

His eyes incase frustration with me, and I know it. I don't normally defy him in public, but I'm not a little bitch who sits around and takes shit from a man. I've never been that way, and never have been easy to deal with for Zayn. But he's still here so that must mean something.

James nods curtly, and walks out of the parlor, ringing the obnoxious bell above the door.

"What the fuck?" Is all he asks me, fumbling with the metal piercing wrapped around his bottom lip. "Really Ella? Can't you fucking listen to me?"