Chapter Eighty

Sirius wasn't sure how today would go

Sirius wasn't sure how today would go. It could be bittersweet, or it could be very happy. He wanted to ensure the latter, even though part of the duo wasn't here, he wasn't going to let the day still continue on like any other. Last year wasn't the right time, and this year they weren't together, and while their promises to each other would be kept, Sirius wanted Nadia to be happy today. After all, it was her day. Her birthday.

He wanted to spoil her on her birthday as he always did. There may not be some big celebration this year, but he wouldn't let it go by unnoticed. They could still have fun. And they needed some too. Looking down at her sleeping form tucked into his side, Sirius couldn't help but smile. She looked utterly beautiful as the soft rays of sun started to shine down on her through their window. He found himself unable to look away.

"You're staring." Sirius was surprised for a moment, as he thought her to be asleep still. And even if she wasn't, how the bloody hell did she know? But he knew better than to deny it, he was already caught, whether her eyes had opened yet or not.

"I would rather call it admiring." He replied and the words made Nadia open her eyes so she could send him a look, pretending to be unamused by his cheesy response. But in the end, she stopped pushing the smile away from her lips, especially as he leaned down and placed a soft kiss to her lips.

"Happy birthday, love." Sirius said gently once he pulled away and watched as confusion appeared in her eyes before she realized that he was right. She hadn't paid much mind to the upcoming date in the past few days and it only occurred to her once he had mentioned it. "Now you wait here, while I get the first surprise of the day."

"Sirius, I thought we weren't doing any surprises." Nadia pointed out with a small glare on her face. After all, it was what they agreed on. They'd do the big celebration and gifts when Lily and James could be with them as well.

"I promise, it doesn't break any rules." Sirius announced before jumping out of bed, throwing his covers to the side haphazardly. Nadia quickly leaned away in an attempt of avoiding the corner of his blanket smacking her in the face. Sirius himself didn't notice a thing and continued to walk out of the room, leaving Nadia to glare at his bare back. But she couldn't do it for long as her eyes caught sight of the tattoo adorning his right shoulder blade.

Her Christmas present had worked wonderfully, and soon after their return from Russia she got to finally know what tattoo he had decided on getting. Of course, while he went to get it she had to sit at home and patiently wait while Marlene had ditched her so she could go watch him 'cry like a baby' as she said. Only when he returned did she understand the need for all the secrecy.

And seeing the black lines depicting a white wolf howling at the moon as she watched him walk out of the room rendered her unable to glare at him as a small smile came over her face instead. She found it funny that while he had been keeping his secrets about the tattoo she had been thinking up a similar idea for herself, something she hadn't yet admitted to him.