Chapter 16

3rd pov

Alec held back a growl as two of the lower guard threw his mate at a wall. He had agreed to let Elliana spar with some of the lower guard and to let her practice her gift. They had begun an hour ago and while Elliana was doing well to hold her own against three guards, she wasn't an experienced fighter.

"Stop scowling Alec." Jane gently scolded her brother, she had decided to join them in the training room. Like Elliana and Alec, Jane relied on her gift more than physical fighting abilities but after the confrontation with the Cullens, Aro ordered Jane to learn. Jane's progress was slow but it was understandable since she'd never had to do physical combat before.

"I'm not." Alec argued, he then bit back another growl as one of the lower guard flipped Elliana and tossed her on the ground.

Jane rolled her eyes at her stubborn brother and called for them to stop. The three vampires backed of immediately and Alec rushed to his mate's side as she stood up.

"I didn't do very well." Elliana grunted as she got up on her feet.

"Actually you did." Felix commented, waving his hand to dismiss the three guards. Felix had joined them to give tips and suggestions. He, next to Demetri, was the most experience fighters in the coven.

"Really now?" the young vampire shot the giant a skeptical look.

Felix nodded, "You might not be used to physical fighting but you can defend yourself rather well, well enough to go against an untrained newborn. Demetri and I trained the lower guard in physical combat, you held your own against all three of them.".

Although Elliana usually left the fighting to her other coven members, it was Richard who insisted she learn how if in any case her gift was neutralised.

"Where is Demetri? I haven't seen him in a while." Elliana commented.

Felix answered that Demetri had taken two lower guards with him to track the intruder. When they both had returned, Demetri reported that there was no one at the clock tower but there was an unfamiliar scent left behind. To track whoever it was, Demetri had to do use old school methods, tracking with scent.

"Alright, shall we move on to practicing your gift Elle?" Jane asked, stepping forward towards her brother and his mate.

"Maybe you should rest first." Alec suggested, wrapping his arms around Elliana's waist.

"No I'm fine, lets get this started." Elliana was eager to practice her gift and to see how it could develop.

-----

The high guard was summoned into the chamber by Aro. Alec informed Elliana that Demetri had returned with the vampire that she sensed in the town square.

They formed a semi circle around Demetri, who had the intruder on his knees in front of the masters. A red head female stood next to the tracker. Her form radiated confidence, power, and a hint of playfulness.

"Well done Demetri." Aro complimented, he moved towards the vampire on his knees. He roughly grabbed the head of the other vampire.

It was silent in the chamber. No one moved or turned away from their master as he took information from the unnamed man in front of him.

Aro's face gave nothing away until he abruptly removed his hands, his eyes showing curiosity and a bit of fear.

"Well? Who is this and what did he want?!" Caius demanded, standing from his throne and snarling down at the kneeling vampire.

"His name is Damon. As for his goal.." Aro's eyes turned towards the new addition to his coven. Elliana stiffened under his scrutiny and Alec tensed in realization.

"His assignment was to keep watch on our dear Elliana."

Immediately Alec tugged her behind him and glared viscously at Damon. He didn't care who it was, anyone who was a threat to his mate would not be allowed to live!

"Assignment?! Who is he working for?!" Caius was as angry as Alec, for a different reason. No one went against the Volturi, no one!

Aro eyed Damon with caution, "What is the name of your master? You never mention his name.".

Damon just smirked, his red eyes glaring up at Aro. "You don't know him and you will get nothing from me."

Caius stood next to Aro, snarling down "How dare-!". Aro lifted his hand to stop his brother.

"Perhaps some time here will change your mind.." Aro looked calm but inside he was silently seething. He nodded to two guard who hauled Damon up and dragged him out.

"It seems we have a hidden enemy.." Aro spoke loudly, eyeing all the high guard in the chamber.

"Who would dare?!"

"Yes, who indeed."

"Whoever they are, they've formed a rather large coven." the red head spoke from Demetri's side. She held up medallion with a black raven.

"I came across one of them in Spain. I didn't recognise the symbol until Demetri and I captured Damon."

Aro held out his hand and the woman willingly gave hers. He let go when he was satisfied.

"Someone is orchestrating this and it is not someone creating a newborn army. Whoever this is, they are far more clever. They've been growing for decades and we never noticed." Aro muttered.

This was rare for the Volturi. Anyone who tried to usurp them usually created a newborn army but it wasn't difficult to discover them in the end. Armies weren't easy to hide, at some point they would attract attention that would reach the Volturi.

"This needs further investigation. Demetri, go to Croatia that is where Damon came from. Find anyone who wears the symbol and bring them here for questioning. Be discreet." Aro eyed Demetri, who nodded, before turning to the female.

"I assume you will accompany him on this mission?"

She smirked, "of course."

Aro nodded in satisfaction and dismissed them. "You will leave for Croatia immediately."

Outside Elliana moved to greet Demetri.

"Its good you're back. Felix was getting lonely." she tossed a teasing look at the giant vampire. She was growing more comfortable around the high guard and found them to be good company.

Felix protested indignantly to the laughs of his fellow guard.

"I can believe that. I remember I promised to introduce you to someone." Demetri looked at the female next to him and held her hand.

"This is my mate, Elissa."

"You must be Alec's mate. Its about time he found one, poor thing was so sombre the last time I saw him." Elissa teased, her red eyes scanning Elliana from head to toe.

"Yes, I'm Elliana. You must be the fast vampire I've been hearing so much about. It's an honour to meet the woman who can put so many expressions on Demetri's face." Elliana teased back.

Elissa was as dangerous as any vampire but she had an a childish innocence about her that made her more approachable. Her gift made her incredibly fast, more so than any usual vampire. Alec explained to her that Elissa had a talent of escaping difficult situations and was turned two decades ago.

Both Demetri and Alec rolled her eyes as Elissa's smirk widened.

" You and I will get along wonderfully."

"Elissa.." Alec warned, as much as he respected the red head, her playful demeanor often got her into trouble that she only got out of thanks to her gift..

"Calm down Alec, I'm not going to bite." Elissa grinned playfully and latched on to the younger vampire's hand.

"We have some time, tell me all about your experience here."

------------

I hope you enjoyed this update, again I welcome comments and suggestions.