01 | Fugaku's Words

( rewritten )

The moon shined down on the Uchiha compound, lighting up even the darkest corners. It would've been a beautiful night if her father hadn't called her in. Little did she know- did he know, that this would be the last night they'd spend together.

"What?"

He let out a long breath.

"You can't become a ninja. It's final."

She blinked.

"No. You're lying." he watched as her foot stepped back. "You're lying!"

He tried walking up to her and placing his hand on her shoulder, but she backed away even more.

"Get away from me!"

The fear in her eyes - it was real.

"It's not-" he hesitated on what to say. "It's not your fault. It's mine."

"What do you mean? Why can't I become a ninja?!"

"I can't tell you-"

"NO! TELL ME-" tears piled up under her eyes. "TELL ME WHY- WHY I CAN'T BECOME-"

"BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT READY!"

She gasped. The tension in the room had fallen a bit, but it was replaced with a new feeling. A feeling Fugaku knew all too well. That spirit's lust for blood.

"I'm not ready? I've been training- I- I've mastered some of the clans best jutsu's! What do you mean I'm not ready?" the pain in her voice truly pained him, but it was for the best.

"Look- I've arranged a marriage with a boy, from the Hyuga clan-"

"MARRIAGE?!"

Her fist clenched. Fugaku could feel the aura around her turn into something evil.

"I CAN'T GET MARRIED! I'M NOT GOING TO BECOME A STUPID HOUSEWIVE- AND- AND BECOME TIED DOWN TO SOMETHING I DIDN'T CHOOSE!"

"Keiko, it's the only way-"

"NO, IT'S NOT! I WILL BECOME A-"

There it was. The words that just started a whole new story.

"YOU WILL NOT BECOME A NINJA, KEIKO UCHIHA. NEVER."

The moons glow seemed to shift from the compound - and before he knew it, his daughter looked up at him in a way that made him wish he hadn't said that. A pang of guilt hit him, and before he knew it, she was out the door.

She ran past her brother who had just gotten out of his room, tears streaming down her cheeks. He didn't need to see them to know something was wrong - especially when Fugaku ran out of the room too, sweat dripping from his forehead. Sasuke had never seen his father like this. The bigger man began to look around, looking for what seemed to be his sibling.

"Where did Keiko go?"

. . .

The black haired girl sat with her knees hugged close to her chest, sniffling silently.

YOU WILL NOT BECOME A NINJA, KEIKO UCHIHA. NEVER.

Those words. They were just words, yet, they hurt more than any kunai thrown at her. Cheeks wet, she looked up. It was a full moon tonight. She had always loved looking up at the big rock, she found it so pretty. She toyed with the end of her sleeves, her sniffling getting a bit smaller. Whenever she began to feel numb and not know what to feel, she'd do this. It was an unhealthy habit - for it had ruined multiple of her past long-sleeves in the past. Her mother had spent half of her day fixing them. That reminded her- Where was her mother? Keiko dug her face into her arms. She wanted to go run back into the embrace of the female, her warmth, her voice- her smile.