𝓢𝓬𝓮𝓷𝓮 𝟐𝟖

Start from the beginning

 Metal groaned and clattered behind Astrid, and she turned in time to see one of the creatures atop the now contorted metal tent, rows of sharp teeth gleaming in the moonlight as its yellow eyes whipped towards Astrid and Rex. 

Astrid and Rex pressed their backs together into defensive position so they were both turned towards different directions.

"Where's the other one?" Astrid gasped out as she ignited her lightsaber and angled it towards the creature atop the tent.  

"Right in front of me," Rex answered breathlessly. 

"Well, this sucks." 

"It does." 

The creature atop the twisted metal tent pounced towards Astrid, and she slashed at it with her lightsaber, refusing to move away from Rex. The creature hissed as it flinched backwards to avoid her lightsaber. 

From behind her, she heard Rex fire off a couple shots of blaster fire, and then Rex shouted, "Astrid, get to Anakin's tent!" 

"The creatures don't even know he's in there or that he exists!" Astrid countered. She slashed her lightsaber towards the creature as it lashed at her with its clawed paw, but it stayed back just enough to avoid her lightsaber. 

Rex countered, "Well, we need to split up! We can't hold this defensive position for long!" 

Astrid recognized that Rex was right, so she said, "Okay, I'm going to leap on top of my creature." He grunted in response, and as Astrid's creature raised another paw, Astrid leapt into the air, using the Force to boost her to a greater height. 

She landed atop the creatures's back, and her fingers scrambled at its fur for a grip as the creature arched backwards to throw her off. Astrid's already weakened grip slipped, and she tumbled to the dirt, barely managing to avoid getting stepped on as the creature twisted towards her. 

It slashed at her with its paw, and Astrid brought her lightsaber up, the hot plasmic blade shearing through the creature's claws on its paw. The creature howled and lunged towards her with its mouth. 

Astrid felt its hot, foul breath on her face, too late to bring her lightsaber up, and she squeezed her eyes closed so she wouldn't have to meet death in the eye. She heard the sizzle of a lightsaber and a howl of pain, and Astrid creaked open an eye to see Anakin sitting atop the creature's neck, blue lightsaber piercing through one of its eyes. 

The lightsaber must've somehow missed the brain, or at least the part of the brain that would've killed the creature because it was still moving. Astrid scrambled out from under the creature as relief and glee coursed through her at Anakin's quick save and his being awake. 

Anakin yanked out his lightsaber from the creature's eyes as it writhed in anger beneath him. The creature howled in pain and anger, and Astrid seized the moment to stab her lightsaber straight through its mouth. 

The creature stilled instantly and fell onto its flank... with Anakin still atop it. Anakin toppled into the dirt with a grunt, and Astrid rushed towards him as he struggled to get up, arms shaking with effort. 

"Anakin!" she exclaimed breathlessly, grabbing ahold of his arm and hauling him to his feet. 

Anakin swayed a little, face paling, and said with a pained smile, "Hey. I thought you needed my help. You always seem to need my help these days." 

"I do not!" Astrid began to protest, but the sound of blaster fire brought them both back to reality. They turned towards the sound to see Rex bolting towards one of the tents for cover as his creature raced behind him.