c h a p t e r. 48

“It takes a lot to shatter a person whose soul whispers,“I’ve been through worse.”
― Lidia Longorio

It's 1 AM. I can't sleep but I can write!! So like, you guys get a new chapter this morning! Yay!

Anywaaaaays, did you guys know that I also write poetry?? No???
Well, it would be awesome if you could check it out at my Tumblr! My username is:
eternalempires

Thank you if you do and I still love you if you don't!

chapter 48

Garnet had been right, Talmai and his lawyer used Bar's reputation against him.

Being seen as a boy beyond redemption, someone who is incapable of love, as a beast, is never easy on anyone.

Especially someone who has such a gentle and sensitive heart as Bar.

But he has been through too much, he has learned to love himself even in the slightest bit, and he no longer cares about what men like Talmai think of him.

The people who mattered loved and respected Bar, that's what counts.

The jury, however, had to have that proven to them. Which was fairly easy.

Bar looked intimidating with his tattoos and piercings but it was obvious to anyone with a pair of functioning eyes that he deeply cared about his loved ones.

When Clementine was called onto the stand, she momentarily panicked. It reminded her a bit too much of the trial that happened against her kidnapper but Bar helped.

The jury saw as he eased the little goddess into being able to breathe, as such a small thing like Clementine was completely relaxed around such a seeming to be brute.

Next, they were able to witness as Gwen had tripped in the middle of the courtroom heading back from testifying again her father, easily splitting her knees open.

Bar was up and out of his seat in a flash, going to his little sister's side to make sure she was okay.

While that happened, Talmai just scoffed-- which won him absolutely no brownie points.

Bar was kindhearted. The jury knew that.

Proving abuse was another thing altogether.

People liked to believe that abuse was... an abstract concept. That it wasn't common. Which, simply, wasn't true.

Abuse can be seen in every aspect of life, through every culture and every kind of society.

They liked to believe that it's something untouchable just because it makes them uneasy to think about or because it never happened to them.

But all over the world, people die from abuse every single day.

Garnet stood before everyone and told the jury and judge and anyone who would listen the horrors that Bar had to go through.

"Bartholomew, whose only eighteen, was beaten by Mr. Bianchi for his entire life." He stated, sad eyes gesturing between the defendant and the accuser. "Even after he had previously moved out of the abusive home, he came back to protect his little sister, Gwendolyn, from his father's fists all while suffering the consequences of love.

"When he was ten years old, Mr. Bianchi beat him with his baton and received the first of six concussions that have been caused by his father."

Most of the woman of the jury looked downright mad and the men shifted uncomfortably in their seats.