c h a p t e r. 38

"But I can hardly sit still. I keep fidgeting, crossing one leg and then the other. I feel like I could throw off sparks, or break a window--maybe rearrange all the furniture."
― Raymond Carver

For all of you in the last chapter who commented and cried and honestly is probably more than sour at me for breaking them up, thank you for reading.

And I just wanted to say because there's been some controversy in the comments, the break up is neither of their faults.
Clementine doesn't know about his father, Bar didn't know what to do, and both of them are extremely hurt over this.

Enjoy!! Sorry for making our babies be in pain :(((

chapter 38

Every day someone loses faith in their god-- but that night, Bar's goddess lost faith in him.

Even heartbroken, Bar remained hers.

His heart stayed attached to the little goddess in the same manner that a key will still fit into a lock even if they are separated.

Bar was staring blankly at Law's dashboard, thinking nothing and everything at once.

It was 3 AM and no amount of exhaustion would allow him to sleep.

His best friends had spent most of the night trying to get Bar to feel better or to talk about it.

But the brute didn't want to talk about it.

"She broke up with me." That's all Bar had said to them before breaking down into loud, body-shaking sobs.

Those sobs weren't like how the movies showed them.

It was gasps and pain and snot coming out of a nose and a burning face and too many disgusting, horrible things.

It was sad and heartbreaking and loud and a horrible thing to bear witness to-- when someone is so broken that you can just tell by the way their body is curling into itself and sobbing hysterically.

Gus and Law, they didn't know what to do.

None of them had been heartbroken in that way before. None of them knew the remedy to a breakup.

So Bar just cried in the front seat of Law's pick up truck as the nerd drove the group of best friends around town aimlessly.

Heavier tears fell out of Bar's swollen eyes when they passed the cafe him and the little goddess always went to, and the ice cream shop.

Gus had fallen asleep in the back seat around one but Law was dutiful in watching over Bar.

After a little while, the nerd asked, "Did you... did you think about telling her?"

"Yes," Bar grumbled. "But what was I supposed to say? It's not like I could've just gone: Hey, baby, there's a reason why I'm not gentle. Why I'm an asshole, why I'm like this. My dad's a fucking deadbeat. Surprise!" The words were like poison. "Alcoholic fucker, is more appropriate. He likes to get... rough. It's hard to live like that, it's hard worrying over my sister constantly. So, what I'm saying, is that I'm a bitter bastard with daddy issues whose really stupid."

"That's not who you are," Law said. "You're the guy who helps his sister no matter the consequence. You're the one who helps me calm down Gus after his mom caused another panic attack. You're the one who helped me with my epilepsy, and who holds me steady during each seizure. You're Gwen's hero-- you're all of our heroes."

"Not hers."

After that, nothing that Law said would get Bar to join a conversation or seemed to help.