c h a p t e r. 45

Start from the beginning

"What is it?" His father asked. "You okay, girl?"

"I, uh, y-yeah, I just c-c-can't--"

"Dad," Bar's jaw was clenched tightly, his hand on his father's shoulder as he subtly puts himself between the little goddess and Talmai. "Art isn't important, let's just go to--"

"Bart, stop being stupid." Talmai spat out. "I need to talk to all your teachers. What would they think if I didn't? I'm not a bad father."

Did he really just say that?

A good father would never beat their kid, a good father doesn't come home drunk off their ass every night, a good father doesn't make his child feel worthless, a good father doesn't turn his kid into a monster.

Talmai would never be a good father.

Never.

"They won't care," Bar hissed out, still able to feel Clementine's warmth right behind him. He wanted his dad as far away from her as possible.

He glanced behind him for a second and saw her minty eyes staring up at him in horror.

She probably didn't know what to do.

There's no handbook for how you should act when you meet your boyfriend's abusive father.

Lowering his voice, weary that they're in the middle of the doorway, Talmai says, "Do you not want me to see something, Bart? Is that why you're being a suspicious asshole now?"

Bar tensed slightly and shook his head, "No. Dad, please--"

"Move." Talmai grabbed his son by his shoulder and forced him back, the force behind his fingers no doubt creating bruises. "We're going to talk to your teacher. Got that?"

Bar gave no reply besides a nod.

Talmai narrowed his eyes.

"That's not what you're fucking worried about is it?" His father's eyes flickered around the room, landing briefly on Clementine and then laughing when Bar tensed. "You got yourself a girl, huh?"

"Leave her alone," Bar snarled, standing straight and positioning himself in front of her like a protector.

Like he had done for Gwen so many times.

His father's eyes widened at the action, a cold grin on his lips, "You're keeping her safe, Bart. Why would that be, huh? What would you need to protect her from?"

You.

Bar said nothing.

Then a wild, crazy look got in Talmai's eyes and Bar recognized it-- it was the look his father had whenever he was high, angry, and about to hurt him.

Bar took a step back, fists clenched by his side, unable to focus on anything going on in the room but Talmai and the little goddess-- unaware the the teacher and her brother Garnet was watching the interaction, too.

"Does she know?" Talmai hissed out, stepping closer. "Does she know, is that why that bitch looked so scared did me?"

"Don't call her that."

"Don't talk back to me, stupid bastard--"

"Mr. Bianchi!" The teacher, Mr. Roell, gasped out. "You can't talk to your son like that."

Talmai pointed a thick finger at her, getting more than angry at this point, "I'm not talking to you, slut. Shut your trap."

"Dad, let's just leave," Bar begged, knowing he'll get hell for letting his father tarnish his 'precious' reputation as a cop.