Nigeria Facts #2

- Exports of commodities (oil and natural gas) is the main factor behind Nigeria's growth and accounts for more than 91% of total exports.

- Nigeria is divided into 36 states and a Federal Capital Territory. The richest state in Nigeria is Lagos and the poorest state is Sokoto.

- The infant mortality rate in Nigeria in 2018 was 75.7, meaning that per 1,000 births, 75 children would not make it past infancy. Many of these deaths are due to low immunization rates with only 13% of children between 12-23 months getting vaccinated.

- Evidence of human life in Nigeria dates as far back as 9000 BC.

- Five of the 10 richest pastors in the world live in Nigeria, according to a report from Forbes.

- Nigeria's population in 1911 was just 16 million, compared to the 200 million today.

- There was a civil war in Nigeria, known as the Nigerian-Biafran War, which started on July 6, 1967 and ended on January 15, 1970. It began when Biafra (made up of the states in the Eastern Region of Nigeria) declared independence from Nigeria.

- The continent of Africa has 8 countries with billionaires, and there are only around 20 of them. Nigeria has four billionaires, coming in third to Egypt and South Africa whom tied and both have five.

- Nigeria has 8 national parks out of the more than 4,000 that exist worldwide. The largest national park in Nigeria is the Gashaka Gumti National Park, and the most popular seems to be the Yankari National Park.

- During Nigeria's civil war, nearly 2 million Biafran civilians died as a result of starvation due to a blockade by the Nigerian Government. Three-fourths of those civilians who died were small children.