𝟐𝟖| Chances

"A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself."
— Jim Morrison

───※ ·❆· ※───

DAWNS POV

I liked to think that my parents were watching over me, wherever they were.

My mother used to tell me about a place where happiness was sempiternal, an endless dream of everything you've ever desired. A place where monsters didn't exist, a place where emotions weren't a hindrance because the only thing you'd worry about is waking up. It seemed too good to be true, too surreal and undeserving of those in our world, because not matter how good a person was there was always a darkness within them that sold them out and made them imperfect. And that's what we were, an imperfect creation and I just happened to be the epitome of imperfection. My flaws loitered from the texture of my skin to the selfish desires of my heart, because I desired to be happy when I knew I didn't deserve it.

I once asked Keiji, 'where do you think your students have gone?', he replied by saying, 'I don't know, but I hope that when I saw their solid colours, others didn't see shades.'. He had always been cryptic with his messages, knowing that I wouldn't understand straight away. Instead, he wanted me to think about it till the time was right and everything just clicked. So rather, I allowed his words to sink into my mind and reflected on the meaning if I had deemed them important enough to remember.

I remembered everything.

"So how do you find the food? I tried out a new recipe so I don't really know if it's that great or not-"

"It's delicious." I said honestly, relinquishing in the taste of the vegetable curry, it contained just the right amount of spice and flavour. It was easy to tell, because my mother used to make me her taste-tester whenever she tried out something new. She asked me knowing that my father would sugarcoat the facts to spare her feelings whereas I said the truth and paid no attention to the consequences. Which could be interpreted as a good thing, but sometimes bad.

Ms Izanagi smiled, I could've sworn her eyes began tearing up as I looked away in panic. I didn't do good with tears, likewise I wasn't the best person to go to when one desired comfort and reassurance, because then I would break the truth in the harshest way possible.

"I'm really glad you like it. I could've done better on the rice, I think it's too soft." She pouted, tucking a strand of her purple hair behind her ear. The closer I looked, the more she radiated light- luminescence was seething past the tendrils of her skin and shone like the first sight of light on a summer morning.

"You worry too much." Obito scoffed, with a mouth full of food. "Soon enough, you're gonna get grey hairs you old hag."

"Firstly, eat with your mouth closed. That's disgusting." She grimaced, before glaring. "Secondly, I'm not old you bas—"

"We have children present, dear." Kakashi reminded, flicking to the next page of his book- his plate already devoid of food.

"Says you." The Hokage's wife, Kushina Uzumaki, scoffed slapping the back of his head. "You're reading such an inappropriate book in front of your students. If I wasn't pregnant I would've shoved a kunai so far up your-"

"Kushina, we have children present." Minato smiled sheepishly.

I looked away uncomfortable, silently moving the rice with my chopstick. She was beautiful, her hair crimson and fiery just like her personality- but she was also caring and didn't hesitate to put everyone in their place. I could see why the Hokage stared at her like she was a rose in a field on dandelions, she stood out- and like Obito- she embraced the eyes, and didn't tolerate glares. But that wasn't why I was uncomfortable, she too had a certain light radiating on her flushed, red cheeks as well as the sparkle in her cerulean blue eyes- identical to Naruto's- but the difference existed. It was the result of the round bump on her stomach that she caressed delicately, and even if the child was far from being born, she treated it as though it inhaled it's first breath of fresh air.