5.

Joo bumps into my shoulder, her face glowing in the sunset. “We should have longer breaks.”

I pull the tab back on my chilled coffee. “I second that. With the tryouts coming closer and closer, we have to take care of one another.”

Due to our schedule, once the girls head home after practice, I hop next door, and Jimin helps me with the choreography. Even though we don’t leave until late (occasionally, it isn’t every night, don’t worry), I think I’m finally improving. All thanks to him. I owe him so much. More than I could ever give him. 

Jimin Park, the person I met by mistake, but I keep coming back too. 

“Do you know if Chung Ae has a boyfriend? He is supposedly from an idol group here.” I roll my eyes as cars pass by us. 

“It really wouldn’t surprise me. Chung Ae does have this certain aura about her. People can’t help but be drawn to her.” Joo pouts. 

“You never praise me, unnie.”

“That’s not true and you know it.” Joo’s rapping ability is to a level I won’t ever be able to reach. Her vocals are, and always will be, outstanding. She is someone you don’t want to mess with when it comes to singing. She will blow you away. 

Joo leans closer, her hand cupping her ear.

“What’s that? I can’t hear you.”

“I said you have an amazing voice!” I scream in her ear. She jumps back and blinks.

“Well, received loud and clear.”

“Ask and you shall receive, young one.” I gently push her shoulder. Joo goes uncharacteristically quiet. We both lavish in the silence. 

She nibbles on her cheek. 

Mi Sun appears and pushes her hands forward. Her lips forming, “talk to her”.

“What's on your mind?”

Joo leaps in the air as if I shocked her. I can’t help but grin at her. She shrugs her shoulders. 

Mi Sun shakes her head at Joo’s cold behavior. 

We walk another block.

I shake my own head, tired of the stillness.

“Jooie, Jooie. What’s that mind of yours dying to ask?” She kicks a rock, her eyes set on the ground below us. “Jooie, don’t make me use my aegyo on you-”

“There’s a rumor going around about you.”

I come to a screeching halt. 

Somehow I knew this serene get together was too good to be true. Something always has to come up. 

I softly grab her sleeve.

“What is it about?” 

Please, don’t let it be Jimin. 

“It’s about---how you dance. Someone said the reason you’ve been training for almost three years is because no company wants you. You go to auditions, you don’t get chosen. So you train, and then don’t get chosen, again. And it ends up being for nothing.” 

I let out the air I’ve been holding onto. 

It’s not about Jimin. Thank goodness. 

I hold onto Joo’s shoulder for support so I don’t collapse out of relief.