The two of them had come to pray in the temple at least once a week for as long as Atem could remember, as part of a promise they had made to their mother on her deathbed. "Pray together," she had said, with tears in her eyes. "Always together."

And so they did, never having missed a week in over a decade. It was a way for them to connect, as brothers — to enjoy what was left of their youth, and briefly shirk the responsibilities their royal titles often levied upon them. They would walk side by side along the raised promenade from the palace to the temple, joking about the latest silly thing to happen at court, or discussing which gods they would pray to. Tefnak almost always chose Horus, the god of the sky and the protector of Egypt. As the heavenly manifestation of the Pharaoh, Tef saw himself in Horus, hoping to one day inherit the god's bravery and might.

Atem almost never chose the same deity twice in a row. When he needed reassurance, he might go to Hathor or Bastet; when he was feeling artfully inspired, he might go to Ptah or Thoth. Today, with the thought of marriage looming over him, Osiris seemed the most appropriate. As holy father and husband, surely Osiris would be able to offer some wisdom to guide him through the upcoming weeks.

But Atem feared if he had to start his prayer over again, Osiris would simply strike him down out of annoyance. Hurriedly, he mouthed his way through the rest of it — asking for patience, wisdom and the like — then bowed his head and stood. When he turned, Tef was already standing as well, bouncing his foot distractedly.

"Did Osiris heed your prayer, brother?" Tef asked, turning to walk side by side with Atem. Even in his near whisper, Tef's words reverberated off the high ceiling. Thankfully, the hall had been mostly cleared of other patrons by the city guard ahead of the princes' arrival. Only a few shadows moved between the statues, mainly servants and priests.

Atem made a short noise in reply. "I suppose we'll see."

"What did you pray for?" Tef prodded, throwing his arm around Atem's shoulder. "A strong stomach to hold your wine during the wedding feast? Or perhaps the vitality to make it through the night?"

Atem flushed, but his thoughts were drawn away from the conversation at the feel of something cold touching his feet. Stepping away, he looked down to see a small puddle of water rising up, then receding into the cracks in the floor.

"Apologies, my prince," came a soft voice from a few feet away. Atem looked over to see a servant woman on her knees with a bucket of water beside her. Even in the dark, Atem could tell she was beautiful — dark skinned with honey-colored eyes, a full-lipped smile, and tightly woven braids that hung down to her waist.

"No need," Atem replied, returning her smile. They held each other's gazes for a while — long enough for Tef to take notice, who soon grabbed Atem by the shoulder and pulled him along again.

"Vitality, indeed," Tef muttered. "A shame you have to be married so soon. Now is the time you should be sowing your wild oats."

Atem stole a glance over his shoulder at the servant woman as he and Tef turned toward the exit of the temple. "It is what it is," Atem replied, shielding his eyes as Ra's gaze welcomed them back into the open air.

Tef pulled his arm back and pushed Atem's shoulder in jest. "You always were too serious," he said. "You need to lighten up — go blow off some steam. Especially before you're forced to put on a show for that sour woman and her father."

"She's not sour," Atem chided.

Tef scoffed. "Did you hear the way she spoke to Father? 'It is not your words that offend us!'" He put his hand to his chest and rolled his eyes in mockery. "I feel sorry for you, little brother. She may be easy on the eyes, but I fear the venom of her tongue will outlast her beauty."