Ch. 66 Talking

The apartment was empty when I woke, so I got ready and went downstairs to Reed's firm.

I found him in his office, his desk covered in papers. I spoke, "Good morning."

He looked up and gave me a soft smile. "Good morning. Are you here as a judge or wife?"

"Wife," I smiled, walking in further. "I couldn't find you upstairs and figured I'd find you here."

He smiled, "Yeah, sorry about that. I wanted to get an early start this morning."

"Ah, I see."

"Do you have court today?"

"Uh, no. I took the morning off in case the vet calls. The afternoon is just case files and warrants." I sat in one of the chairs in front of his desk.

"Yeah, I actually need one from you," he spoke, digging through his papers. He found a notepad. "The Baker case needs a warrant for a paternity test."

"Okay, send it over and I'll take a look at it."

He nodded and made a note. "So I take it you won't be working late tonight?"

"Nope—although I'm sure you do."

"Actually, I made sure to clear the latter half of my afternoon."

"Why?" I asked, surprised he would do that. I knew how much of a workaholic he was, especially when he had ongoing cases.

"I was thinking I'd take you out for a date night. We haven't done one in a while and work has been a lot lately. I figured we could both use it," he smiled.

I nodded. "Yeah, we definitely could. Any idea what you want to do?"

"I was thinking dinner out somewhere and a movie at home?" he suggested.

I smiled. "I like that idea."

"Me too," he smiled.

There was a knock on the door.

"Yes?" Reed called.

A woman with long dark hair looked in. "I wanted to give you my notes on the Ward case."

"Ah, yes. Come in."

She walked in and went to the side of his desk. She was wearing black slacks and a red blouse. She was pretty, but I could tell she was intelligent, unlike a lot of the women Peter liked to hire. She looked at me, then Reed. "I apologize for interrupting."

"No, that's okay," he spoke, looking from her to me. "Hillary, this is Judge Robinson, otherwise known as my wife."

She smiled at me and put a hand out. "A pleasure to meet you, Your Honor."

I shook her hand. "It's nice to meet you too. I don't think I've seen you around here before."

"Oh, I just started a couple weeks ago."

"Well, welcome. This firm will definitely keep you on your toes," I smiled.

She laughed, "Oh, it definitely does."

"Hillary works more with Evan," Reed explained, "but she's assisting me on this while he's on leave."

"He's on leave?" I asked.

"Yes, I forgot to tell you." He looked at her. "Thank you for this. I'll get back to you this afternoon."

She nodded and stepped out of the office.

I looked at Reed and rose a brow.

"What?"

"Why'd Evan take leave?"