Ch. 67 Caught

A week later, I was working in my office. There were so many case files I had to catch up on. The cases I saw that day had been boring and fairly straightforward—I wasn't even sure how a couple of them made it to court.

I was on my third cup of coffee for the day as I buried myself in case files. My shoes were off and I was sitting with my legs tucked under me, a pen in one hand and my coffee in the other. I was in the zone.

Someone knocked on my door.

I wasn't phased. I mindlessly spoke, "Who is it?"

"It's me," a voice spoke.

Absentmindedly, I answered, "Come in."

I heard the door open and close but I didn't look up. I made a notation in the file I was looking at. It was an assault case, so I was making sure I was understanding the case.

"Georgia?"

"One second." I finished my notation and looked up.

Reed was standing over me. He softly smiled at me. "Hey, baby."

"Hi," I smiled.

He kissed my head and ran a hand over my hair and down my chin. He tilted my face up towards him and gently placed a kiss on my lips. He pulled back after a moment and looked at me, his eyes searching mine. Then he nodded and went around my desk.

"What?" I asked.

"Just making sure you're okay." He sat in a chair on the other side of my desk.

"Yeah, what's-what's up?" I asked.

"Can't I come see my wife?"

I looked down at my file, then back at him. "But I'm-I'm working—like you should be."

"I am working," he smiled.

I just looked at him.

"We had a meeting scheduled? It's on your calendar."

I rose a brow and looked down at my desk. I moved the case files around and looked at my calendar. There wasn't a meeting written on my calendar. "There's nothing written here."

There was a knock on the door.

"Who is it?" I asked.

"That's probably my mom. She's the prosecutor on the case."

"It's Barbara," she spoke, confirming what he'd said.

I stood up and repositioned so I looked more professional. "Come in."

She came in and looked at me. "Good afternoon, Your Honor." She looked at Reed. "Hi, Reed. Been here ex parte long?"

"No, I just sat down."

She walked around him and sat beside him.

Then, the two of them began arguing about a case. They went on and on. I watched them as if I was watching a show, watching him and then her, back and forth. I held my coffee between both hands and watched, listening to them argue.

"Georgia, what do you think?" Reed asked.

"Don't 'Georgia' her. You're here as a lawyer," Barbara snapped.

"She's my wife. I'm going to call her by her name."

"She's a judge. Have some respect."

He huffed. "Your Honor, what do you think?"

"I think I need popcorn."

Barbara smirked.

"Judge-" Reed started.