Ch. 10 Anything for a Case

Reed had to go back to the office.

I had fallen asleep. My body just couldn't take any more emotion or feeling.

When I woke, he wasn't with me. He must've still been at the office.

I crawled out of bed and took a quick shower. Then, I dried and curled my hair. I did my makeup and slipped on a new set of bra and panties. I dressed in a black skirt and burgundy top. I slipped my heels on and went downstairs.

I grabbed my briefcase and left the house.

I didn't notice anything on my way to work. My morning was a blur. I didn't want to see life outside. I didn't want to see anyone or anything.

When I got to work, I went to my chambers and got a cup of coffee. I took a drink. I had a bit of a hangover that I needed to help.

There was a knock on my door.

"Andy, I'm not seeing anyone this morning."

The door opened.

Senator Robinson stepped in.

I looked at him. "Can I help you?"

"I want to apologize for last night."

"Listen, if your wife put you up to this, it's fine. Just forget it."

"Judge, I was out of line. I just-My son is my world. He's everything to my family and myself. We don't want to see him hurt."

"And you think I'm going to hurt him? Thank you for that. That makes me feel so much better."

"Your Honor-"

"I know Reed and I aren't conventional. I get that you don't want him to get hurt, but he loves me. And I-I love him. Clearly, we don't know everything about one another, but we're working on it. He's an amazing young man and I'm honored to know him and to be loved by him."

He was quiet.

"You don't have to approve. I don't expect you to, nor do I need you to."

He took a breath. "Your Honor, it's an election year."

I froze. I looked at him. "You just don't want us dating, because you think it's going to effect your votes?"

"Your Honor-"

"I don't do politics, and if I did, I would not endorse you. You're a politician. You don't even care about your son's happiness as long as him being miserable works out for you."

He was quiet.

I shook my head and stood. I put my robe on. "Senator, I'm due in court soon."

He sighed, "I love my son and my family, but my job is everything. It takes care of my family."

There was a knock on the door. "Your Honor, you're due in court."

I nodded. "Okay." I looked to Senator Robinson. "I really need to go. I appreciate you coming and trying to apologize, despite your motive."

He didn't say anything.

I grabbed my coffee and the file and left the room. I went to court and sat in my chair.

The jury came in and took their seats.

Senator Robinson walked in and sat in the back.

I ignored him. "Okay. Are there any more witnesses?"

Reed stood. "Your Honor, the defense has a witness."

I looked to prosecution.

He nodded.