Part Two : Chapter Thirteen

The test was negative and although I should have been furious for her to make such a disruptive fuss, I was glad for her to come storming into my life with her anti-climatic problems. She unknowingly managed to take my mind off the recent conundrum, whether to go talk to Abel or ignore him? The looming fear of the copy of my pictures compelled me to have a conversation, but I knew that I had to be smart and not naive like I had been before. I decided to take Sam with me, provided that he promised to not create any scene.

Allison had hugged me tightly in the cramped bathroom of the medical store while I was trying to awkwardly disengage myself. She had whispered in my ear how she could easily circle her arms around my narrow waist with a touch of envy and I had simply said that she looked beautiful today. She began crying on me before one of the staff interfered to whom I was eternally grateful.

That staff member, a lady with coiled curls looked at the guilty party and had said savagely, "I'm adding condoms with the pregnancy test on the bill. For your own sake."

Allison had let out a long breath of relief when I had told her that I was heading straight for Bailey's Nuts and I could see why. For the first time in our years of rocky friendship, she had seen my living conditions and found it to be not so pleasant. I wanted to see how she would react when she found out that I would be evicted and homeless soon. Also, I didn't want to see that because I didn't want to be evicted and homeless.

It was a lazy day at Bailey's Nuts as Isaac and I languidly moved around serving warm doughnuts and drinks, exchanging few words in between.

After our shift was over, I meant to have a proper conversation with Isaac, but Allison came over with her amusing pregnancy scare story and narrated it to Lola, Tony and Isaac in the pantry.

Tony was conspicuously disturbed. "Me . . . A f-father?"

"Exactly, glad God didn't give you that opportunity," I said bluntly.

Allison willfully ignored me and held Tony's hands from across the island. "You would have been a wonderful father." That seemed to scare him more so she added tenderly, "But you aren't going to be." Then she glanced at Isaac to deflect the tension from Tony. "Isaac, you would make a nice dad."

Isaac who was about to abstractedly continue chewing the straw of his drink was startled on hearing his name. He became conscious of the masticated top of the straw and casually hid it with his hand. Somehow, I found this adorable, this same action when executed by any other person would have aroused disgust in me.

When he raised his eyebrows, Allison repeated, "I said that you would become a nice dad." Immediately, his amused eyes met mine. I tore my gaze from him and focused on Allison who was smiling clandestinely. "You just need to grow a beard and you'll look like a dad."

"Very true, Ally. Looks totally determine who can be a dad or not," I said sardonically.

"Doesn't it though? A good-looking fellow has more chances of getting laid and become a dad," Lola quipped and everyone snickered.

"Isaac's good-looking," the words flew out of my mouth like a caged bird waiting to be freed. By the soft glow of delight that appeared on everyone's faces and the burning stare of Isaac which I avoided, I stupidly realised that flirting couldn't be so blatant. Besides, why the hell was I flirting, the guy already seemed to like me!

When it was perilously close to the time of the manager returning back and discovering his employees fooling around in the pantry, we all parted ways. Except for Isaac and I. He walked along with me and I didn't question, thrilled to be alone with him.

It was a serene night and although the moon and stars were hidden behind lightly drizzling clouds, Isaac's pale grey eyes filled their emptiness.

"Hey . . . " I started, struggling to beat the awkwardness that was fast filling in the pause that I took. "I know I must be confusing you a lot lately."

He shoved his hands deep in his pockets, his curls damp from the gentle rain. "No, I understand---"

"No, you don't," I pressed firmly. "There's nothing I have given to understand. And I don't think I can. Things have been going on like they usually do . . . I just want you to know . . . " I took a short breath, feeling the intake of cold air. "I want you to know that in spite of however my mood changes which has nothing to do with you by the way . . . I like you. I really do, Isaac."

I stopped on my tracks so I could see him, see whether he liked me because even though I was sure of it, I wanted to see it, the reflection of my fondness.

"Are you okay?" he questioned instead, facing me and I blinked dumbly. "I mean the things going on with you . . . Are you okay?"

I nodded mutely, the cold air feeling warm in my stomach.

His face suddenly broke into a wrinkly grin, the widest I have ever seen on him. "God, Ana, of course, I like you too! As kids, now as adults. I don't think whatever you do can stop me from liking you."

I felt my mouth stretch in an effortless smile and taking his words as an encouragement, I playfully leaned towards him. "That's dangerous, you know. Liking me like that. Unconditionally. What if I murder someone?"

"Then I'll believe that person deserved to be murdered," he mused, tenderly holding my quivering chin.

"That's dangerous," I whispered. "I'll try to never put you in that position."

He hummed quietly, that wrinkly smile never fading and as the raindrops fell harder, I tilted my head up and he softly met my cold lips with his own, lovingly holding me close to him.