Part One : Chapter Ten

We were impatiently sitting on the two opposite ends of the bench at the bus stop when it started to pour heavily. The escalating rain soaked the tips of Isaac's polished shoes and he pulled his legs back uncomfortably, glancing at his watch. His face was calm, but I could notice his irritation by how his knees bounced constantly. The sound of the rain colliding against the shed filled in the awkward silence as I was imagining my mum's turmoil. All the pretty decoration was bound to get spoiled and damper the guests' mood.

"Glad we got out," I couldn't help, but share my excitement.

"The bus should come in five minutes." He saw my curious look and showed me his phone. "According to Google."

"You can keep your legs here." I patted on the space beside me. I didn't want him to know that I had seen his discomfort because of his leather shoes getting wet, but I valued expensive items. His shoes would get ruined without any difficulty in this non-stop rain.

He brought his legs up on the bench and wrapped his arms around his knees, facing me. "You can do the same, Ana."

"These sandals are on the verge of dying anyway. I bet the strap will break till I reach home. Doesn't matter." I sighed, wiggling my purple painted toes. "It was my cousin's and she passed it to me. She's the least fashionable person you'll ever meet."

"They're not that bad." He observed the golden sandals, the cheap glitter which was haphazardly sprinkled on the straps. I turned my feet so he could see the random brown flaps on the ankles. "Okay, what is that?"

"Storage." I bent down and inserted my little finger in the pocket like structures.

He was amazed, the corners of his mouth twitching upwards. "Woah, that's cool."

"Come on, that's shitty." I snorted. "You can fit nothing in here! It only makes this uglier."

"Ugly things can be cool," he said wisely, the expression on his face betraying the humour. "Hey look, I think it's the bus." I squinted at the foggy road and was blinded by the headlights of the approaching vehicle which was indeed the bus. "Race to the door." Isaac stood up. "One, two---"

Before he could finish, I sprinted to the door which opened the exact time I reached, the fat raindrops splattering on my head. Isaac was right behind me as we both entered looking like an unsheltered snail. The bus driver gave us a sympathetic look. I smiled politely while doing my best to not concentrate on my sticky skin.

"You cheated," Isaac said as if genuinely hurt when we both took a seat next to each other.

"I won," I replied proudly, running my fingers through the knots of my damp hair. "I feel like crap."

"Effects of cheating." He began to shake his head like a dog trying to dry its coat of fur. Then he rubbed his hair with his slender hands almost furiously and water droplets showered on my arm. I protested at the unnecessary bath and he grinned boyishly.

"Asshole," I muttered, wiping my arm against the sleeve of his dress shirt. He raised his arm so I couldn't use his sleeve which compelled me to use his pants. He scooted away, laughing and I could feel my own anger dissipating.

"See, see, see---"

I went for his pants again with my moist arm. "No---"

He continued laughing, squirming away from me. "Really, look there." He stretched his hand towards the window and pointed at two drops of water which could fall any second. "Race. Choose quickly."

"Fine." I hastily pressed my finger against the glass with the most unstable drop on the other side and held my breath.

I could feel Isaac breathing deeply right behind me as he focused on his drop and with one jerk of the bus, both of them started trickling down.

"Oh my God, yes," I mumbled since my drop was the faster one, but suddenly Isaac's fat drop united with mine.

He smiled mischievously. "We both won."

"No, your contestant swallowed mine," I said indignantly, swatting his hand away from the window. "This is stupid." 

"Rematch," he declared, choosing another drop. I didn't budge to select mine, so he removed his earphones and insisted on me taking a bud. "Two hours to go. These are the only ways to kill time."

I hesitated, but understanding his valid fact, I took the earbud. "Fine, game on."

He seemed pleased as we both competed with our tiny drops to the song of The Cure- Friday I'm In Love.

* * *

"I won," I whispered for the thousandth time and he chuckled softly, his body slightly trembling beside me. There was no sense of time restricting me and my cheeks were hurting from giggling childishly the entire time we were playing. Was it an hour or two? Did we miss our stop?

The music lulled in the background and the lyrics sounded like murmurs. Raindrops trailed down the window as I lazily traced them with my slender finger. The sky outside was a tranquil grey and the road empty or perhaps there were cars, but they were moving too fast to be spotted. I didn't care because I felt giddy with laughter so pure that rarely any of us could experience it once grown up.

Isaac's pale reflection on the window made me look at him and he smiled, that wrinkly smile of his.

"I think we're reaching home," he said in a low voice and I groaned loudly.

"I don't want to get up, my butt's still wet." 

"There's some time left till we reach." His phone screen lightened up and his face fell.

Something took hold of my tongue as I asked, "What happened?"

"They uh added me in the team," he said reluctantly. "Football team in college."

I questioned uncertainly. "That's supposed to be bad news?"

He sighed, tugging at his dishevelled hair. "I'm not that good at it. Not at all."

My eyebrows knotted in confusion. "Didn't they take you though?"

"Okay." He let out a frustrated breath. "I'm good overall, but in the team, I'm the worst player. Do you get me?"

"That's not true." I scoffed, but his face was sober.

"Sometimes I-I feel like I'm not good at anything," those words slipped past his pink lips and he swallowed before smiling a little. "I try my best at football or volleyball, but I'm just average. In the end, I start hating that sport."

I was amazed that he thought that because Isaac had everything and was everything.

"I don't know what to say, Isaac," I said truthfully. "Only that for the years I have known you, you were the best. The best to everyone. You let me win so it wouldn't break my heart or rather, I wouldn't push you down."

He laughed, pushing his large mop of  hair back and it felt nice to see him at ease again.

"The scar," I said in fascination, seeing the light circle on his forehead. It was from when I had threw him off the swing. "It's still there."

"What can I say, Ana, you leave a solid impression wherever you go."