Part One : Chapter Thirteen

Isaac flipping Connor. That imbecile still believed the ridiculous lie that I was dating Tony. Tony. That poor soul had the wild, lost look in his eyes as he stood stunned, trying to recuperate from Allison's harsh words. I sprinted after my apparently best friend as she stormed outside dramatically.

"Ally wait!" I yelled and she surprisingly halted on the sidewalk. "There's a big misunderstanding."

She whirled around, her blonde locks flying furiously around her before slapping her scarlet cheeks. "I didn't know you would betray me! You and Tony! I should have seen it coming. I always knew this day would come, I knew something was brewing between you two. Why on earth would he choose me over you? You're way prettier---"

"Aren't you mad at me?"

"---but so . . . so ugly inside!" she burst out courageously, the first signs of guilt already surfacing in her forest-green eyes.

"Ah, there it is," I mumbled and my words made her livid, braver.

"You're a grumpy old man trapped in a beautiful teenage body!"

"Thank you, I'll take it as a compliment," I jeered, unable to see the point of this preposterous argument. Allison should know better, Tony and I, we could never. "Look, there's nothing going on between us. The idea itself makes me laugh."

"Why? What's wrong with Tony?" Her light eyebrows furrowed, her tone demanding.

"He's certainly not for me, he's more of your type," I said candidly. "You both are naive and gullible. Perfect for each other."

The frown on her face deepened, unsure whether I had said something sweet or condescending.

She suddenly brushed her hair back as if realising the contempt in my voice and yelled fearlessly, "You're a shitty person and a shitty friend!"

"We're all shit Ally," I said softly. "Who knows what goes in that blonde head of yours. At least, I'm not afraid to show what goes in my head."

She steadily gazed at me, the way a child does at bright lights, but little did she know that the light in me had dimmed already.

"Go home Ally and talk to Tony whenever you feel better. He would be so anxious by now." I took a couple of steps back, watching her stand rooted to her spot. "We'll talk later."

"Never," she whispered shakily, swaying on her feet as a puff of wind ran through her golden locks. "Never."

I turned around and strode briskly on the sidewalk, feeling a slight shiver running down my arms. I pushed through the glass doors of Bailey's Nuts which required more energy today than usual and Isaac came rushing to me. He had to back down because I knew myself. I knew that I would take out all my anger on him. And the worst part was that he would take it. He would take it with a kind, wrinkly smile on his face.

"Tony told me you and he aren't dating anymore- that you didn't date him any time. I'm sorry, if I-I had known that I wouldn't have told your friend that you were in there with your boyfriend- h-her boyfriend," he stuttered, the remnants of the confusion of the stupid lies that I uttered evident on his face.

Not your fault. Not your fucking fault. Don't say sorry. And goddamn, don't smile that way. Don't smile in any way.

"Leave it," I muttered, shoving him aside. "Don't talk to me."

We stood there behind the counter, shoulder-to-shoulder, not speaking.