Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Twenty-Three:

Rin's POV:

I was concentrating on the candles before me, imagining myself lighting the two on the outside. I opened my eyes and saw all three were on fire.

"Agh!" I groaned, grabbing my head in annoyance. "C'mon, man! Why can't I make it do what I want it to!" I groaned. "I guess I don't have the talent for it." I whimpered. I heard footsteps coming from behind me and turned around. "Who's there?" I asked. I saw Izumo walking over.

"It's me wondering why you're sitting there talking to yourself." I crossed my legs, resting my hands on my ankles.

"I wasn't. Anyway, why are you sneaking around here this early in the morning?"

"I'm not sneaking. I just forgot my pencil case."

"Uh... oh." She leaned over.

"What kind of training is that supposed to be?" She asked, gesturing to the melted candles.

"Oh, I have to light the candles on the ends, not the one in the middle, but it's not working out so hot for me." Her eyes changed.

"That reminds me, remember when Paku got attacked by that ghoul?" I shifted my position.

"Yeah? During that boot camp thing."

"That day, my familiars wouldn't obey me because I was scared. I lost my confidence, and I lost control. Your flames work the same way. Don't be afraid. Be confident, and I'm sure they'll obey you." I cupped my chin, facing the candles.

"That makes sense. Hey, why'd you do that?" I asked.

"What?"

"You gave me good advice. Why'd you go out of your way to tell me all that stuff? I mean, aren't you scared of me like everyone else?"

"Not really. I guess you didn't know this, but actually, it's not that unusual for demons and humans to have blood ties with each other. And for exorcists, it's pretty common." I widened my eyes.

"No way, you're kidding."

"Everyone knows that, and now that you know, you don't have to be all worried and stressed about your bloodline. If people wanna make a big deal about it then you can... tell them..." I looked at her happily like she was a nice person for once.

"Thanks, Poka-Brow!" I thanked her.

"Huh?"

"You're a pretty nice person after all!"

"You call me Poka-Brow?! Don't give me weird nicknames! I have a proper name, it's Izumo Kamiki! Got that?" She yelled. I smiled.

"I really appreciated it, Izumo. Thanks to you, I think I can do this." She gaped, turning a little pink.

"Well, it's not I like I came here wanting to give you a pep talk." A breeze blew her hair, causing us both to gasp. I stood up, grabbing my red bag.

"What the hell is that?" I asked, my guard up. Izumo backed up, moving towards me.

"I don't know, but it's coming!" Something flew at me, but I blocked it with my weapon.

"Show yourself!" I yelled. I froze, seeing a pair of gleaming, red eyes. It moved quickly towards us, swallowing us with darkness. "Damn you!" I yelled, swatting the creature with my bagged sword. I flew back, spinning before landing. It looked like a bird.

"Foul demon. Leave this world, you don't belong here!" It yelled, throwing feathers at me. One grazed my cheek, drawing blood. It roared, flying towards me. I saw two white foxes appear. I looked to Kamiki, who had summoned her familiars.