Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine:

Emi's POV:

I sat in the Teacher's lounge as Yukio brewed a cup of tea. I thought back to what had just happened in Mephisto's office.

FLASHBACK TO TWENTY MINUTES AGO

I stood in Mephisto's office with Yukio right behind me.

"So you're saying that because of the Satanic ritual you performed a few weeks ago, your mother, Yoshiko, was able to detect where you were, and now you think that she and her gang of Satan-worshiping-yakuzas are coming to attack the academy?" Mephisto asked, trying to get a grip on everything I had just told him.

When you say it like that, you make me sound crazy.

I nodded my head. Mephisto looked at me squinting his eyes.

"And you know this... How exactly?"

Shit. I can't tell them about my brand. Only Nyx and Neuhaus know.

"I-I can sense it. I sensed a Satanic ritual, similar to how my mother worshiped very close to the academy." Technically I wasn't lying. I just left out the part where "sensing," was more like unbearable pain that surged through my body. Mephisto thought for a while.

"Alright, well I believe you. I'll have some Arias reinforce the barriers around the academy.

I sighed in relief. Yukio and I thanked Mephisto as we left his office.

END OF FLASHBACK

Yukio passed me a cup of tea. I thanked him, slowly sipping from the edge.

"How are you feeling?" He asked, clearly concerned. I look down at my tea.

"To be honest, I'm terrified. I haven't seen Yoshik-my mother in over eight years. I don't know why she decided to look for me now, of all times. I knew I would have to face her eventually, I just wished it wasn't so soon. I'm worried that when-if she comes she'll hurt you and all my friends." Yukio looked at me with sympathy, reaching for my arm.

"Well you don't have to worry. We'll be there for you, and besides, there's no promising that she will come." I smiled back at Yukio.

"Yeah, I guess you're right. Thanks, Pengu-" Before I could finish my sentence, there was a loud crash. Yukio and I looked at each other. We ran out of the lounge only to see the one face I feared most. My mother's. She and a group of yakuza stormed into the academy. I froze in fear as my eyes met Yoshiko's. She had an evil smirk on her face.

"Emi." She said. Shivers went up my spine when I heard her voice.

Don't show fear. That's what she wants.

"Mother." I spat. She put her hands on her hips.

"Now, Emi. That is no way to talk to your mother." I heard the other students run in. Nyx and Rin ran to my side.

"Is that-" Nyx said. I cut her off by nodding. The other students looked in befuddlement.

"What do you want," I said to my mom. She laughed.

"Is it so bad that I want to spend some time with my daughter? You missed the funeral after all." I clenched my fists in anger.

She did not just go there.

"Emi, you need to calm down," Nyx whispered, but I wasn't listening.

"They asked for you, you know. Before they died. They begged for you to come to save them, but where were you? You were here learning how to be a stupid exorcist." My mother continued. My blood was boiling. "I would say that I miss them, but who am I kidding. They were better off dead."