Chapter 22

EMERSON FINDLAY

He left feather-light kisses along my collarbone. Four kisses to be exact. I counted because I didn't know what else to do. But, I guess my body did. Because instinctively, my hands slowly fell onto his waist.

The kisses were borderline ticklish but I had never felt anything, any sensation like that. If I wanted, I could easily push him off right at this moment. His grip was loose enough for me to do so.

But, I wasn't pushing him away. Rather, I was drowned in the sensation of skin on skin. One of his hands left my waist to grab one of mine from his waist. He entwined our fingers and squeezed my hand lightly. The skin contact was so delicate but made me feel so special.

It was always the little things that got to me. The contact right now made me feel like he was coaxing me into the feeling. Into the sensation.

There was a sharp intake in my breath when I heard the elevator ding and almost pushed Adrian off. But thankfully, no one had seen us in that position, we had just reached the assigned floor.

He instantly got off of me and went for the luggage. I awkwardly tucked my hair behind my ear and cleared my throat.

The room we were going to stay in was one of the most luxurious rooms I'd ever seen but, I was well over the shock after all this time. We both settled our luggage and it wasn't long before I felt exhausted.

Adrian made his way to the French windows, staring out of them as I made my way to my room door.

I huffed and got rid of my clothes. Getting comfortable with my robe on, I went and jumped into the bed. It was like I was floating on clouds when I closed my eyes. Still, I couldn't even sleep a wink.

Soon enough, there was a knock on my door.

"Em? You should start getting ready. We have to leave in an hour or so." I heard Adrian's muffled voice through the door.

And, true to his words, an hour and a half hour drive later we were there at this grand hall.

Everyone looked like they had dressed in their best clothes. They had these auras around them that made me belittle myself for not being bolder and going for the backless dress.

Concealer. Concealer was always the answer. The decoration had a theme, of red and black. And so did most of the guests' fits.

I felt Adrian's hand touch my back, light as a feather. To be honest, I was still a little flustered from what happened earlier but apart from the pink hue crawling up my neck, I might as well say I was doing a great job of hiding it.

He gave polite smiles to every other person and hugs to all the relatives we met on the way. Each time someone asked, he said I was the woman he was courting, making my cheeks heat up.

This hiding thing might not have been as easy as I seemed it to be at first.

"I think I will go grab something to drink. I feel parched." Adrian said, close to my ear. "Do you want something too? We can go together so you're not stuck alone."

That did sound like a good idea at first. But then, I was reminded of my vow, never to be in the presence of alcohol and Adrian at the same time.

"That's a hard pass. I tsked. "But go ahead. You'll most probably find me where the starters are." I announced, totally determined to fulfill my hunger.

He nodded, studying my face at once, making me realize the close proximity our faces were at. And then he was gone.

I roamed around a little, going to the sides and peeking out the huge french windows by moving the curtains a little bit. It was a breathtaking view outside. Suddenly, u felt a tap on my shoulder.

He must be back with his drinks. I thought. I turned around to be met by a man with brown hair and midnight blue eyes, that had a striking resemblance with someone I remembered like the back of my hand.

"Is whatever that is outside the window, more interesting than here?" He asked with a ghost of a smile on his face. I would have answered him if I wasn't in stunned silence because of the shock.

How does he even have the same voice?! I thought. He was almost a replica of Adrian, except for the hair. He was wearing a black suit with silver embedded lining which gave away how expensive it was.

"It's not- I'm." I stuttered.

Did Adrian have a twin? None I could remember him mentioning before this moment. He smiled but tried to hide it behind a pretence of wiping his mouth.

"Do you have a twin?" I answered his question with a question of my own.

He smirked. But, before he could answer, Adrian came and patted his shoulder.

"He brother. Thought you would come with your little wife today." Said, Adrian. He swiftly came to stand right next to me, his hand on my waist. The other one held the glass he just brought back.

"Gina was going to come today but just yesterday, we went to the hospital for her because she was having solid nausea and turns out she is pregnant." His twin (I'm assuming) beamed.

"That is such a piece of big news! Did you tell mom and dad yet?" Adrian said, the excitement clear in his voice. He went forward and hugged the man.

"So..... Is this the girlfriend you were talking about?" He asked, raising a brow while looking at me.

"Oh right! Em, meet my brother Michael." My eyes widened. It was weird meeting someone's family. For a change.

"And this is Emerson. We share a house and I'm trying really hard to court her currently." I felt my cheeks warm up instantly. He seriously had no filter over his mouth sometimes.

Michael took my hand and shook it lightly. He gave me a smile that was quite different from Adrian's but just as charming.

"You really left this idiot with nothing behind huh? Not even a shoe, Cinderella." He grinned. Was it in the family's genes to tease every living being?

"Hey!" He earned a revolting scream from Adrian.

"I didn't even know we were going to meet again," I said, glancing toward Adrian and seeing his expression a little dull.

"But things just worked out this way and I'm so glad they did." I have him a smile, not tearing my eyes away from Adrian.

Before any of us could say anything, a woman with sharp eyes and a commanding aura, along with a man a head taller than her strode towards them.

"You finally got her huh?" The man asked. Déjà vu?

Before Adrian had to speak up again, I just put my hand forward to greet them both.

"Hello ma'am, sir. I'm Emerson Findlay. I work for and share a living space with Adrian. It's a pleasure to meet both of you." I mustered up my best smile for this. But internally, my organs were churning up.

The amount of social interaction I had today, I couldn't even wish it upon an enemy.

Both of them gave me warm smiles.

"You really are a very lovely girl." She said.

"I am Adrian's mother and this is his father. I'm so glad that you could come with him this time around. It has been so long since he came back."

"Oh!" I let out. "Happy anniversary to both of you. I hope you'll only grow happier as the years pass." I said.

Their beaming at us just showed how proud they were of their kids. And maybe a little happy towards me.