Chapter 7

ADRIAN RUTHERFORD

While I was driving to the destination, she removed her watch and earrings and then, after great difficulty, her lenses. It was amazing to see someone drunk but still aware enough to put them back in their case. She was going to put on her glasses when she looked up as I had stopped the car. She shrieked as she hastily opened the door and ran out. I closed my eyes and I cringed for just a moment before I opened them again.

I put her glasses in my pocket and got out of the car. A smile plastered on my face when I saw her heels thrown on the cool sand and he in the water. Yes, we were on a beach, late at night. She was playing with the pearls that had floated almost to the shore and were glowing because of the moonlight. And so was she. I felt my heart do a little flip as that thought crossed my mind. So much for taking it slow and following a plan.

Her white dress shone as her face glistened with a heart–stopping smile. I could clearly see she was loving it here. "Adrian!", she suddenly called out. For the second time. In just one night, I was over the moon. "Catch me if you can." And with that, she started running further. I removed my shoes and socks and ran behind her; all cared for the clothes getting drenched flying off with the wind. The water had reached her knees when I caught her. Finally,

I caged her by wrapping my arms around her stomach and picking her out of the water as she squealed and giggled. I found myself laughing too. Something about her laugh was very contagious. I carried her back to the shore that way, while she tried a little wiggle every few seconds. When I put her down, she laid down on the sand and gestured to me to do the same, by patting the sand next to her. I huffed and lay down next to her. She put her hand out in front of my face. "Glasses" she muttered as I gave her glasses to her.

She wore them and we both looked up at the stars in comfortable silence. After a while, she started talking, her voice somewhat strained. "You were right Adrian. I'm the same Emma from university who ran away like the coward she is. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that to you. I was just too consumed by my own pity that I couldn't give you your chance. Hell, I could not even give myself a chance."

'Why do you say that?' That was the first question that popped into my mind. However, after observing her for the past few weeks, I just could not ask her something she was so hellbent on taking to the grave with her. I wanted to know. I was dying of curiosity. However, I did not want her to regret anything when she woke up the next day. I wanted her to confide in me willingly.

So instead, I said, "You know, all this time, I had been very very curious. But right now, I just want to say that I understand. Whatever grief you went through. Or still, are going through. I understand. You do not need to apologize, or give me any explanations. Still, if tomorrow you wake up and find yourself stuck, or alone; just look for me." I couldn't help it. I just pursed my lips into a thin smile.

"Yeah," she said. We fell back into a comfortable silence. For so long that I was afraid she had snoozed off right on the beach.

But suddenly, as if she was pondering and contemplating whether to pour her heart out of me, her intrusive thoughts were what came out victorious.

"My parents left me when I was ten and I grew up on my own. They had completely broken me when they left. I distanced myself from everyone and struggled to make my own existence. That was when you came in. You gave me all your attention but, when you wanted me to be in your life permanently, I got scared. I somehow knew that whatever 'love' you felt for me was just a temporary emotion and one day, you would realize that and leave me. Just like my parents. Just like everyone else."

And all of a sudden, as a big wave crashed into the shore, taking all the pearls back to the depths of the sea with it, she broke down. I turned towards her, after a brief moment of panic.

For a few minutes, she just held on to my coat and sniffled. "Emma," I whispered as I patted her head slowly. Then, she warbled, "Please. Never, ever call me Emma. Please."

"Then what do you want me to call you?" It was a tentative entry into unknown territory but I was prepared for wounds.

"When I was little, my father used to call me princess." She huffed a little laugh. However, by the tiny 'whoops' that I heard, she was already feeling second-hand embarrassment.

She looked up at me now. "Please don't come too close to the fire and burn your hand." As she was about to look down and break eye contact again, I held her face by the chin and stared into her beautiful hazel eyes. "I cannot help it. I need to come close to the fire to get its warmth to prevent myself from dying in the cold. You are too precious Em-, no, Emerson. "

With that, she broke down once more, we were now in a sitting position. She wrapped her arms around me and snuggled her head in between my neck and shoulder. After some time, her sniffs had stopped and her breathing had become normal. I looked down to see that she had already fallen asleep. I got up and picked her up along with me.

I put one of my hands behind her shoulders and another one under her knees. Carrying her to the car, I put her into the seat, buckled her up and slowly shut the door. I went back to the beach to pick up her heels, my socks and shoes and put them in the backseat. Soon, I was driving my car toward her house.

When we got there, I checked her purse and luckily found the keys to the house. I opened it and put all her belongings on her couch. After that, I carried her to the nearest room and tucked her into the bed. I cleared all the hair from her face, leaned down, and kissed her on the forehead.

As I turned around to leave, she held my hand and mumbled, "Please don't go. I don't want nightmares." I tried to loosen her grip but, being her stubborn self, she wasn't ready to give up even in her sleep. As the bed was too small to fit both of us, I crossed my legs and sat down beside the bed. She turned towards me. I put my head near hers and soon drifted off to sleep. I would never leave you. This was the last thought in my mind before I finally fell asleep.