Chapter 20

ADRIAN RUTHERFORD

I was brought out of my thoughts as I heard the door open and shut. I was done cooking. So, I took the dishes and turned around. Em had already settled herself on a chair at the kitchen island. She had literally just come out of a shower and she still had her hair tied up in a towel turban. She kept fiddling with her fingers and avoiding eye contact. Even though, I knew that she was dying to ask me about the events of the previous night.

"So..... Now that I am 'clean', tell me. What happened last night?"

I wanted to tease her a little more. "Um. I don't think you really want to know. You actually announced in front of almost all the guests yesterday that you loved me unconditionally and that you wanted to kiss me."

"Really!?" she almost shrieked, followed by some incoherent words. At this point, I was not too sure whether she was too hooked on it or was totally flustered by imagining herself doing that.

I pressed my lips together as I tried to hold back a smile. I continued. "Yeah. And then I too got into the flow of things, as you know I already care about you so much." I made a sad frown face.

"So, you dragged me into an alley as soon as we got out and started kissing my neck. I was a little hesitant because of the place so, then we drove back home."

"Oh, man." I heard her muffle and groan as she covered her face with her hands out of embarrassment. I could not help the snort anymore. The way her neck and ears had turned red was one of the most adorable things I had ever seen. They were very motivating for me to continue the sham.

"But, then you just started kissing me again in the car park and then-" I did not continue and she peeked from between her fingers. I burst out laughing now. She looked so cute when she was embarrassed. I just wanted to take her into my lap and cuddle.

******

EMERSON FINDLAY

This man was getting on my nerves. Here I was feeling like a lump of coal in a fire and there he was, laughing as if his entire life depended on it. Then, it struck me. He was messing with me! Now, if I asked him and if it turned out that he actually was messing with me, I was going to mess his neck up.

I think it was visible on my face that I was seeing through his bullshit as he wheezed and tried to control his hysterical laughter. When he finally breathed through his nose, I asked "are you messing with me?"

He just nodded and started laughing again. Ridiculous! I picked up the glass of water next to me and threw it at his face. He looked taken aback as I stood up to rush to my room. Adrian wasn't getting to call any shots this time around. It was as they said, revenge was a dish, best served soaking wet.

*****

ADRIAN RUTHERFORD

I expected her to be mad but, I did not expect her to be so angry. I rushed behind her, but she had already slammed the door shut. Damn. I stood there as the water droplets dripped down my neck. Before I could do anything, she opened the door again and threw my phone at me. my reflexes were my saving grace as I caught it in time. It was ringing. It was my brother Michael.

"Hey, Mickey!! So you still remember that I am alive?" I sassed.

"Shut it brat. At least I was the one to call you first." He sassed back and we laughed. This was just how our relationship was. We loved each other a lot though.

"So, I called you to remind you. It is mom and dad's anniversary in four days. You're coming back right?" he inquired.

I put a hand on my forehead. Of course, I remembered. It was just that I had forgotten to pick it up from the custom shop.

"Of course I am. I am their favourite son." I teased.

"Oh, yea totally. That is why they still keep me around when they kicked your arse out." We laughed. Then, he continued. "I heard that you finally found that girl you were looking for?"

It had to be Dad. I should have considered it before telling it to him. I swear he had a hole in his stomach. He could not keep a secret.

"Yep, I did," I answered.

"So I'm assuming you are bringing her home?" he asked. From behind him, I could hear incoherent banter but soon, it was my mom's voice. "Tell that brat that there is really no need to come back if he does not bring the girl."

Wow. My mother really loved me. I smirked. Her commanding voice could still make me stand up, straight as a rod.

"You heard her." Mickey said, "see ya." And just like that, they were gone.

I went and slowly knocked on Em's door. She might have been pissed but, I needed to convince her. This would be the first time that she would meet my family. I did not know why but, this thought gave me a fussy feeling.

I knocked again and after what felt like at least half an hour of me repeating my actions, she finally cranked it open.