Chapter 14

Logan's insistence on showing up everywhere was really getting to Virgil.

He had been able to avoid Logan entirely for the first few days. He would leave class too fast for Logan to follow, he would only return to their dorm at night or when he knew Logan wasn't there. He would turn around every time it looked like the son of Hades was about to start a conversation. It was difficult, but it was worth not having that awkward, stupid talk.

Logan, however, turned out to be equally stubborn. Now, no matter how fast Virgil went now, Logan would keep up. He'd stay up late and get up early so as not to miss him in their dorm. All so he could bombard him with lame excuses and hollow apologies.

"Virgil, I don't understand why you're still upset with me." Logan said as he dashed after the boy trying to outpace him, "I've told you I regret hurting your feelings."

He glared at Logan, picking up the pace. "Whatever." He replied, speeding away. A small twang of guilt hit him as he did so, but it was hard to discern over his seething anger. Anger at Logan, anger at himself for not knowing entirely why he was this angry. Logan was his best friend, it should be easy to forgive him. But that fight...

"You're the son of the most evil, most despicable villain in the world. You think anybody accepts that? You surely haven't."

"Have fun gallivanting around with your white knight, but don't come crying to me when he shows his true colors!"

Virgil rounded a corner and wrapped his arms around himself tightly. He would not have another episode today. He didn't think he could handle it after last time.

So, he stopped thinking about it, about the fight, about anything, hoping he'd be able to stay away from Logan during remediation.

"Alright, class!" Fairy Godmother addressed the two of them brightly, not really noticing that Virgil sat across the room from Logan this class, "You've been making a lot of progress on kindness and honesty, so I think we should move forward with something a little different!"

As she wrote on the board, Virgil snuck a glance at his classmate. They made eye contact, and Virgil looked away quickly, opting to pull out a notebook and focus on that.

"Oh, no need for that, dear." Fairy Godmother said, gesturing towards him, "Though I applaud your studiousness! Today, why don't we learn through use of a fun, educational exercise!" Virgil cringed, not liking the sound of that.

She had them stand up, and Virgil stared at what she'd written. 'Practicing Conflict Resolution: Role Play!' The sparkles she'd drawn around the words only furthered the crease on his forehead. "I'm going to give you two a series of situations, and you need to act out the best way to handle it. Oh, this will be such fun!"

Virgil seriously doubted that.

"First scenario!" Fairy Godmother chirped as she wrote it up, "Logan, you've been caught stealing from Virgil, an apple merchant! Go!"

Logan began speaking flatly. "I'm sorry for stealing this apple, it was not a good thing to do."

Virgil's fist tightened. Is this all Logan knew how to do? Apologize? "Yeah, well, sorry's not gonna cut it."

As Fairy Godmother looked to Logan he sighed, "Okay, here. I return what I stole."

"Oh, how generous. You hurt my business and only give things back when you think there might be consequences. Bravo, what a good person you are."