Chapter 3

Fairy Godmother smiled knowingly at the extravagant knock at her door. Only one student she knew put that much Flair into anything he did.

"Come in, Roman!"

The dashing prince opened the door to her office and glided inside. Approaching her desk, Roman flashed her one of his winning smiles. "Good day, Fairy Godmother! May I say you are looking absolutely stunning today? Is that scarf cashmere?"

Fairy Godmother laughed, "Thank you for noticing, Roman! But don't think you can get out of this meeting through flattery."

"Well, you are a family friend!" Roman tried, "Maybe you could pull some strings?"

"Nice try."

The prince huffed and plopped down in a chair. "It was worth a shot."

"Truly." the Headmistress replied, "Now, about your grades-"

"In my defense!" Roman interrupted, "I've been very busy! I'm captain of the jousting team, you know, and math is... math is hard."

"It's also essential, Roman. As the sole inheritor of your parent's kingdom, you must study diligently. If time is an issue, perhaps you should consider dropping jousting."

"What?!" Roman shot up of his seat and leaned forward onto the desk, "Please, Fairy Godmother, the jousting team needs me! I can't abandon my teammates! Isn't there any way I can make this up? Please?"

Fairy Godmother tapped her wand against her desk in thought. "Well... You'll have to study harder, that's for sure."

Roman clasped his hands together, grinning. "Consider it done! Now, if that's all, I need to-"

"Hold on!" Fairy Godmother stood up too, "I will allow you to stay on the jousting team if you help the student council welcome the new transfer students here."

He raised an eyebrow, "Help Pat? Well, sure, but I don't know why you need me for that."

"Well..." the Headmistress walked around her desk, fiddling with her wand, "This situation is a bit... nuanced. You are a very popular student here, so there will be less commotion if you help to welcome the transfers from... the Isle of the Lost."

Roman's jaw dropped. He had to blink a few times before he could comprehend exactly what she had said. "The Isle? Students? Transfer? Lost? WHAT?"

"Come now, Roman,"

"VILLAINS are coming to AURADON PREP?" Roman shouted in disbelief, "Are you under a spell?? That's insane!"

"Roman."

The prince felt a twinge of guilt. "I'm sorry, Fairy Godmother, I've gone too far. It's just that inviting villains into our school is asking for trouble."

"Prince Patton convinced me to give it a shot. There are only two transfers, Roman. I'm sure you and the council can keep everything under control." Fairy Godmother said with a smile.

While it felt good to know she had this much trust in him, Roman's insides twisted at the thought of letting villains infiltrate his school. But if there were only two of them... and if he wanted to remain jousting team captain...

"Alright then. I'll do it." Roman agreed, and the Headmistress thanked him. "So, who are these transfers, anyway?"

---

When Virgil exited class to find the hallways packed into a dense crowd, he just thought someone had started a fight. He was about to put in his earphones when the startling sound of a trumpet fanfare made him drop them.