Chapter 12

The next day was very different at Auradon Prep. Not that the classes were more difficult than usual or anything, but there was a new dynamic that threw a wrench in the status quo.

Roman and Virgil were hanging out.

Or, more accurately, Roman was hanging around Virgil. It seemed as though he meant it when he said he wanted to get to know him better, because now he would approach Virgil like a casual person. Virgil, on the other hand, was probably as perplexed as any other students who might have  taken notice of this change. Honestly, it's not like he expected Roman to be serious about the whole 'friends' thing.

"Patton's not at lunch today." he said when Roman sat at their table. The prince just smiled infuriatingly. "I don't mind." Virgil was so offended at Roman's nonchalance that he brooded silently throughout the whole meal. Unfortunately, Roman took his silence as an invitation to talk nonstop about the new Lemonade Mouth album.

It continued in gym class. "Do you want to join us?" Roman said, gesturing at Min, "We're going to practice sword fighting."

Virgil looked up incredulously from his spot on the bench. "I'm so sorry I gave you the impression that I enjoy physical activity." he replied sarcastically, slumping more for effect. Roman merely rolled his eyes. "Okay, Flora, Fauna, and Drearyweather, we'll be over there if you change your mind."

"Don't count on it."

Virgil couldn't help sneaking a few glances at Roman throughout the class. He inadvertently giggled when Min knocked Roman off his feet and sent him falling on his butt. Just as quickly as he fell however, he stood up and took a theatrical bow. Sighing, Virgil muttered to himself. "So stubborn."

Later that day, as Virgil and Logan walked back to their dorm, they passed Roman at his locker. The dashing boy noticed them and sent Virgil a wave and a smile. Virgil responded by sticking his tongue out and carrying on.

"What was that about, Virgil?" Logan asked.

Virgil rolled his eyes. "Nothing." Logan didn't say anything. He only eyed his friend suspiciously.

The next few days followed suit. Roman would pester Virgil at lunch, gym, in-between classes, and Virgil would respond with impeccable snark. Despite everything, the prince refused to give up. And, little by little, things started to change.

It began slowly, with just a small smile and laugh from Virgil after telling him a good story.

"So, with ten minutes left to the game and my helmet strap broken-"

"You didn't."

"-I went onto the field with the only head protection left in the locker room: a pink unicorn helmet. Bold look for a kid who wasn't even out yet!"

Then it was a little more obvious, with Virgil throwing snide comments at Roman in gym class to throw the prince off his game.

"You know, if you ever want to pick up a sword and actually do some exercise.." Roman suggested in annoyance.

Virgil replied, sitting close by and watching their spars go down as if he had popcorn, "Yeah, no, I'd rather just stand here and watch Min kick your ass."

Min smiled. "I like this one."

"Whatever. This prince doesn't even need a sword to slay." Roman replied, whipping out his finger guns. It was just corny enough to get a snicker from Virgil.