Chapter 11

The autumn wind followed Virgil as he made his way to the cafeteria. Something about the chill was comforting to him, and the changing colors of the trees were astounding. Back on the Isle everything was damp and humid, and the few trees there were always seemed to be a dull brown.

Then the scenery changed: A busy dining hall with the warm scent of cinnamon and butterscotch. As much as he hated crowds, Virgil knew the food would be worth it. After taking a small helping of mac n' cheese and a big helping of pie, Virgil began to walk over to his usual table. He could see them all as he approached. Logan, Patton, Roman-

Roman?

Virgil stopped dead in his tracks and gaped. What was Roman doing at his lunch table? He usually sat with the Jousting Team, but now he was chatting casually with Patton as if he hadn't just disrupted Virgil's entire routine. He would already be seeing him in gym! Why did he have to put up with him at lunch too?

"Virgil!" Patton called him over, blissfully ignorant of the scowl on Virgil's face. As Virgil sat next to Logan,
Roman smirked. "Glad to see me?"

Virgil just looked from Logan to Patton as if to say WHAT THE FU-

Logan put down his book. "Patton has a matter to discuss with the student council that apparently concerns us."

"That doesn't explain this!" Virgil replied, waving a hand in Roman's general direction.

Roman beamed. "I'm on the student council now."

Virgil went silent. Then, after a long moment of staring at Roman, he looked at Patton. "Really? You couldn't do better than Jerkules here?"

Going red, Roman stood up. "Well, no one asked for your opinion, Tinkerhell!"

"Hey, hey, hey!" Patton interjected before things got too heated. "No mean words and definitely no H-E-double toothpicks."

Roman and Virgil sat down mumbling apologies to Patton while not making eye contact. As they all waited for Riley and Ali to join them, Logan debated with Patton.

"I'm just saying that there's no area of space that is what people refer to as hel-"

"H-E-double toothpicks."

"There's no evidence for anything like that on this earth, and yet it qualifies as an expletive. The Underworld, on the other hand, is quite real, and you don't stop me from saying it."

"That's because no one can get you to stop talking, period." Roman said with a smirk as Riley and Ali arrived. "HEYO!" Riley high fived Roman for his comment as Logan pinched the bridge of his nose. She patted Virgil's shoulder before sitting down with Ali.

"I didn't expect to see you sitting here, Roman." Ali stated, to which a very quiet "make that two of us" could be heard from Virgil.

"Yeah," Riley said after a long yawn, "What's up?"

"Pat has something to tell us all." Roman replied, and all attention shifted towards the president. It was clear how excited Patton was, he was practically bouncing up and down in his seat.

"Okay." Patton stood up, "We all know that this transfer plan is just the beginning, the foot in the door of future inclusion. Logan and Virgil here are the proof that the children of villains deserve to be treated like anyone else. Other kids deserve to be here. The problem is that a decision that huge has to be made by the Council of Crowns."