Chapter 6

"To think, not two days into the school year and I am already reprimanding students!" Fairy Godmother exclaimed as Patton, Roman, Virgil, and Logan hung their heads. She had already dismissed Ali and Riley after getting their side of the story, and then Aaron after giving him detention for un-princely  behavior. Roman also suspected that she too was getting tired of Aaron whining about his blazer and wanted him out as quickly as possible. But now, he almost wished his teammate were still here.

Roman detested having to sit with the villains. The surprisingly intimidating nerd looked like he wanted to burn him to a crisp and the emo was practically exuding a dark cloud of gloom. A small pang of guilt also made it hard to look at him, which greatly confused Roman. Why should he feel guilty? The emo was the one who went berserk! Though, Aaron and him may have been a tad aggressive. He sighed.

That guilt, however, was nothing compared to how he felt when he looked at Patton. His usually cheerful friend refused to look at him, unless to give him the "disappointed dad" look. Whenever Patton looked at you like that, you knew you had screwed up. Royally.

"As headmaster, I must set an example of what is acceptable and what is completely out of the question!" Fairy Godmother continued grilling them, "What in all the realm made you think this fiasco was acceptable?"

Patton began meekly. "We're so sorry, Fairy Godmother. I promise it won't happen again."

After a tense moment, she responded.

"Perhaps it would be best if we ensure there can't be a 'next time.'"

"What do you mean?"

"I believe this transfer was a mistake." She concluded, leaving the rest of the room in shock. Logan sat up rigidly, Virgil looked up from the floor, and Patton leaned forward, crying out pleas and protests. Roman was surprised as well. Not so much at Fairy Godmother's decision, but at his own reaction. He felt... not good.

Roman thought that news like this would bring him joy, at least relief, but he felt empty. Less than empty. Disappointed?

Perhaps he was disappointed for Patton's sake. The sweet puffball really had wanted this to work out. He seemed so upset at the moment that it tore a hole right through Roman's heart.
But then, there was something else. Something about those villains that added to his disappointed. He looked again at the nerd, then the emo, and stared. Seeming to sense his eyes, Virgil glanced back at him and glared. That sneer gave Roman a rush. That was it. Aaron had said before that there was no obstacle he couldn't surpass, but there it was. These villains may prove to be his most challenging foes.

And he was never one to back down from a challenge.

"Fairy Godmother, I agree with Patton. You must let them stay." Roman proclaimed grandly, pleased at the appropriate shocked reaction he got.

"Prince Roman, I would think you would understand." Fairy Godmother replied, "After all, you protested their transfer in the beginning."

"Please, Godmother, I've matured since then."

"It's been a day." Logan muttered.

"Please reconsider! If Roman's on board, then we can get the whole school on board!" Patton said as he gave Roman a small smile. That was enough to boost his confidence tenfold.

"I don't know, boys." Fairy Godmother replied, still unconvinced, "I can't risk magical outbursts like what occurred this evening. If Virgil and Logan don't respect our school rules on sorcery conduct, they don't respect this opportunity."

Virgil seemed to have shrunk further into his hoodie, if that was even possible. Logan's fists were clenched and Roman saw the gears turning in his head as the nerd tried to think of a solution. Even Patton looked like they had lost.