"Yes, I am Emma. The cops and forensic team are all over my place, as we speak."He opened his mouth and then shut it, contemplating what to say next. Finally, he exhaled a hot gush of air.

"I am sorry to drag you in my mess Emma. I can't explain how guilty I feel about this whole situation. I have been selfish to stay close to you even after knowing how complicated my life was."

"Shh.. please don't blame yourself, we talked about this, we are in this together, remember?"

He gave me a reluctant nod. I could see how badly he was taking this. From across the table, I went to sit by his side now. I was rubbing his arms to provide him comfort, assuring him he isn't alone in this.

"Augustin and my security team believe you can be a target too, they must have figured our proximity by now."

I was numb listening to him. What was he implying?
He shut his eyes and took a deep breath, "it may not be safe anymore for you to stay at your apartment alone, Emma. I think you should move in with me."

"What? Move-in? With you?"

"Yes, please. I know it's too soon, but I am just thinking about your safety. Please, Emma, think about it with a rational mind."

I didn't know what to say. I could not just drop everything and move in with him. It was a big step, and I wanted it to happen for all the right reasons, not because of some threat shadowing our lives.

"Emma... I am sorry but please..." Jake whispered, getting me out of my trance before he could complete, I answered.

"Move in where Jake? Didn't they just destroy your apartment...?"

"Yes, they did. I have a family home in the city too. That's where my parents lived."

"Your family home? Are you serious?"

"Yes, since my mom shifted to LA, that home is currently empty and available to move in.
When my father died, we re-instilled the best state of the art security systems there. It's the safest place where we could stay."

"I don't know how I feel about this, Jake. It's your parents' home."

"I know Emma, all this is too soon and quite rushed for you, and I am pushing you to do something out of your comfort zone. But protecting you at all costs is my top priority." His eyes, even though they looked determined, they were desperately searching mine for an answer. He was worried sick.

I took a couple of minutes to process all the information. I was suppose to move out of my apartment for the sake of my safety. This was all so bizarre and scary, yet the idea of being close to Jake in such dangerous times comforted me.

I immediately made up my mind. I didn't want to leave him alone when his life was at risk. "Jake... I understand. Please stop being apologetic. I will always decide to stay by your side and do what helps the situation best."

He sighed in relief and took my hands in his. He placed soft kisses at the back of my hands, "I love you, Emma, and I will make this better, I promise." He whispered.

"I love you too, Jake, and you have my back, no matter what."

***

I felt a bit empty as I left my apartment behind, this place did grow on me in all these months, plus I had the fondest memories here.