You saved me

Emma's POV

I swiftly got into the car with Jake, and looking that he was okay, my immediate instinct made me embrace him.

"Are you ok, Jake? What's going on?"

"Yes, thanks to you, Emma, I am fine." He hugged me back. His arms wrapped tightly around me.

Thanks to me?

He adjusted back to his driving seat and drove the car out from the parking spot, "we are first heading to your apartment, and if you want we can take a quick detour to the Aunt Amy's coffee house. We can sit and have a thorough chat there. I will explain everything to you before making any decision."

"What decision?" My brows knitted in confusion.

What the hell was happening?

"You will know". He was continually watching a car behind us and the entire fifteen minutes drive was in pin-drop silence. Jake was trying too hard to focus on something and was I trying too hard to calm my popping nerves.

After what seemed like the longest fifteen minutes of my life, Jake parked the car outside the cafe. As we stepped out, I saw a parade of black SUVs behind us. I soon saw Augustin and Brett and half a dozen other guard type men step out of them.

"What is all this, Jake?"

He didn't answer, and instead held my hand, intertwined our fingers, and strode us both inside.

We both sat down on a comfortable couch. Aunt Amy greeted us with a warm smile but sensing the tension in the air; she gave us some privacy. Jake calmed himself a bit. I could see anxiety dancing in his otherwise serene blue eyes.

"Jake, for god' sake, tell me what's happening?"

He took a deep breath, and finally answered, "last night, a major accident happened Emma. My apartment's security was compromised. It was set ablaze early morning today."

"What? Set ablaze? Oh My God, Jake! Did you inform the cops?"

"Of course I did, I only got to know about this after I dropped you at the office this morning. My phone's battery died last night, and Augustin took control of the situation. Brett had informed him I was safe with you at your apartment."

I was shocked beyond measure. I didn't know what to say. After an awfully long pause, I finally broke the silence.

"What would have happened if I hadn't stopped you from leaving last night?" I was imagining the gravest possibilities and thanked heavens above for making me do what I did.

"I don't know Emma. You saved me from a dire situation. We are certain of foul play as the CCTV across the street caught a suspicious masked man enter the vicinity."

"Who could be behind this?" I suddenly held both his hands firmly. I was a bit shaky after the revelation, my mouth lost its moisture, and I felt a sharp pain in my temples.

"Maybe it was a quest for the evidence against Windsons. I think they were attempting to destroy it."

It made some sense, or maybe they were attempting to destroy him? The mere thought gave me chills.

"Did they? Did they destroy it?"

"No, they are still safe with me."

"This is getting very, very dangerous, Jake. I am worried about you. You should get this investigated, properly. I can never even imagine you getting hurt, please, for my sake." I was fighting my tears. I wanted to be his strength, but the traitors they were, they did manage to escape and stream through my cheeks.