Fourteen

Quinn

I subconsciously stared at Judy, goggle-eyed.

Laura Smith?

This mysterious girl belongs to our family and we were never informed about her? My head started to spin and my vision became hazy. I tried to reassure myself that it can be just a normal girl with the same surname as us, but it didn't work. I failed to assure myself that it can be any other girl. Everyone looked as astounded as me at the name they just heard.

"What do you want, Laura?" April asked fearlessly. Judy began to chuckle again, but this time her voice sounded much more horrifying. Various tones were combined together, and as I could determine; one was her original voice, one was high-pitched, one was low-pitched, and one was devilish. My heartbeats expedited as I feared what was Judy going to do next, as I knew well that whatever she was intending to do is going to be obnoxious.

"Revenge,"

Judy opened her eyes once she enunciated that word. The lights began flickering and the furniture commenced shaking. The lights went off, and Alex immediately lit up a flashlight. We all gasped when we didn't find Judy sitting on the armchair anymore, and we dreaded the possibility of her jumping at us at any moment. I started to breathe rapidly as I inspected my surroundings, searching for Judy everywhere around us, but she was nowhere to be seen. The thought of her vanishing or something crept into my mind but I attempted to brush it off.

"Where did she go?" Doris asked, her voice quivering. Lullaby music could be heard suddenly, and I somehow knew that it was Judy making it, probably with her own voice. Alex started nervously moving the flashlight across every inch of the house, but we didn't stumble upon any trace of her. The voice-made music continued to resound incessantly, but no sign of Judy anywhere. My heart dropped when a bang sourced from above me, ceasing the music abruptly, and Alex slowly directed the flashlight towards the part of the ceiling above me. I looked up with a pounding heart, and my breath got caught in my throat when I saw Judy holding onto the ceiling above me, like a spider.

Within a blink of an eye, she jumped on me and knocked me down to the ground. Doris and Lisa shrieked at the terrifying scene, as they watched Judy squeeze my neck, in horror. When mom or dad endeavored to approach me, they were pushed backward by a powerful unseen force. Judy's hazel eyes were now glowing green, gazing right into my soul. I was on the verge of losing consciousness but then April spoke, finally.

"Vicky,"

Once that name slipped out of April's mouth, Judy loosened her grip on my neck and twisted her head to glare at April. Both Alex and April were standing in front of my parents and sisters, trying to protect them from whatever Judy was intending to do. Judy started to twist her neck as inhuman noises escaped from her mouth. Her neck cracked as she fully twisted her head to peek at April, and I didn't want to anticipate what was she willing to do.

"I know your name,"

"No!" Judy screamed so loud that my ears almost exploded. With an extraordinarily fast speed, April was pushed backward and hurled at the wall. Judy started creeping up the staircase and the sound of a door being slammed could be heard. I started to crawl over to April who was leaning against the wall, growling quietly. We all gathered around her and watched as she looked at us with a serious expression, ignoring the intolerable pain in her back.

"Quinn, listen," April said, looking at me. "Laura wants revenge, and she isn't going to leave Judy's body unless she accomplishes what she wants. We need to find more information about her so that she will be weaker. You and Alex will search in the basement, I'll search in the attic, Mr. and Mrs. Smith can inspect the remaining parts of the house. Okay?"