Ten

Quinn

Sharon was laying on the bed, lifeless, immersed in blood.

The bedsheets were soaked with blood and another black substance. Sharon's eyes were wide open, showing no eyeballs, just black. Her mouth was also wide-open, so impossibly wide that it was apparent she was screaming her lungs out. Her blond hair was drenched in blood, as well as her clothes.

After standing there frozen for a few minutes, I began backing away and started to scream hysterically. I could hear footsteps rushing up the stairs shortly after I let out that glass-shattering scream. Mom and my sisters had climbed up the staircase, worry written all over their faces.

"Quinn, what happened?" Mom asked worriedly. I just pointed to Sharon's room, still wide-eyed. Mom jogged towards Sharon's room and stopped in her tracks once she saw the horrendous scene. Doris and Lisa were about to follow mom but I stopped them. I wasn't going to let them see this horrendous sight.

Judy was midway through the stairs, showing that spine-chilling sinister smirk. I couldn't withdraw my gaze from her, observing the slight transformation in her eye color. Her normal eye color is hazel, but I could notice it modifying into a light, glistening green. I couldn't stop myself from remembering that girl I saw in our house's window, who Judy now resembles.

I realized that we can't just sit like that and let our problems solve themselves. I must do something, which is visiting April and Alex again. I know that the last time she rudely shut the door in our faces, carelessly expelling us, but I don't care about my self-esteem now. Our lives are in danger and I have hope that those two will be our rescuers.

***

"Are you sure?"

Lindsay asked me, staring at me with an unsure look.

I sighed, reconsidering my resolution for the millionth time. Would April accept to help me or will she manage to slam the door in my face again? My dignity was screaming no, but screw my dignity now. What matters the most is rescuing my family and protecting them from the invisible entity haunting them.

After a few minutes of deep thinking, I finally came to a conclusion.

"Yeah, I'm sure,"

***

As the lift slowly went up, my stomach twisted as I imagined April's outcome.

If she doesn't agree to help, then who else I'm going to ask for help from? There aren't many experienced ghost hunters in town. The possibility of her refusing to help me intimidated me, and the likelihood of not finding anyone who could help me with this stuff frightened me even more.

When the lift reached the fourth floor, we had to push the door open as the lift was vintage-styled and didn't have automatic-opening doors. Alex and April's apartment door was effortlessly discernable, with its remarkably bizarre style and shape. Me and Lindsay exchanged looks of worry before we both made our way to the door standing before us. I outstretched my hand and softly knocked on the door. Me and Lindsay exchanged some more anxious looks before the door was opened.

"Hey there,"

A boy extremely similar to April opened the door, showcasing a gorgeously sweet smile. I stared at him in utter disbelief, unable to believe the fact that someone can be this handsome. His ocean blue eyes were bewitching, as they twinkled underneath the faint light. His caramel-colored hair was stylishly messy, wisps of it falling over his face elegantly. I could've gazed into his hypnotizing eyes for ages if I wasn't interrupted by Lindsay.

"Hey, Alex," Lindsay started, looking so much more confident than I was. "We're here regarding some paranormal stuff, is April here?"

"Yes, sure, come in," His smile enlarged as his eyes met mine. I looked away, too embarrassed to make direct eye contact. He opened the door wide enough for us to walk in, and once we were inside, I began contemplating the apartment's interior attentively. By just glancing at the apartment, you can tell it belongs to people interested in paranormal stuff by the weird-looking portraits covering the walls and the sculptures of other-worldly creatures organized on every shelf.

As he led us to the lounge room, he gestured for us to sit down on the couches.

"Wait here, I'm going to go get April and come back," he smiled warmly, and Lindsay nodded. He looked at me one more time before he left. My heart started racing and I couldn't determine whether it was because I was worried about April's outcome or because of this handsome boy. I inhaled deeply, trying to normalize my rapid heartbeats. I can't be thinking about love at this moment, it's just not the right time.

It took him a few minutes before he came back with April. Her eyes widened when she caught a glimpse of me, and frustration spread all over her face. I peered at the ground, feeling ashamed to be looked at like this. I could hear April whisper-yell something to Alex that I could hear clearly, but I pretended not to. I could see Alex gawk at me which caused my heartbeats to uncontrollably accelerate. Alex whispered something to April that made her sigh in exasperation before she turned her attention to us.

"Quinn, listen here," April said as she made her way over to us. I wondered how did she know my name when I didn't even tell her, but it didn't matter much now. She sat down on the couch across from us and ran her fingers through her shoulder-length hair.

"As you may know, I have an uncanny ability that empowers me to envision people's futuristic happenings when I see them," she stated as she looked at both me and Lindsay. "And the moment I saw you, I immediately imagined your future happenings as well. However, those happenings weren't... Pleasant. Honestly, your and your family's lives are in danger, and if nothing is done about it, then, I'm sorry for being blunt, but one of you all will die."

My heart nearly stopped beating at the last sentence. My eyes widened and my jaw dropped, as I stared at April in utter incredulity. "Die?" I choked out.

"Yes," April breathed out as she continued to stare at the floor. Then she lifted her head and looked at us with a serious expression. "You still have time though. If you don't do anything about it fast, the consequences are going to be inexplicably deadly."

Fear replenished me and my heartbeats quickened to an unthinkable speed. I was speechless and only opened and closed my mouth successively like a fish. Lindsay looked as dumbfounded as me, and it took her a few minutes to speak up.

"What are we supposed to do?" Lindsay asked, sounding helpless and clueless. I stared at April, awaiting her riposte. She sighed and began gaping at the floor.

"We're going to help you," Alex announced, earning a glare from April. He didn't seem to bother, but he kept gazing at me as his lips lifted into a smile. He patted April's shoulder and whispered something into her ears. I knew he was attempting to persuade her to help me, which made my lips spontaneously curl into a smile.

"Fine," she breathed out. "We're going to help you."