Vilkas X Reader: Forgiven

author's note:
I'm trying to write an Alduin chapter, but my brain is not working. I feel bad for hardly updating, so here is some good ol' grumpy Vilkas!

* * *

He had been sulking ever since the bandit camp we raided earlier this night. It was a simple enough job for Vilkas and I, because dealing with a few cowardly bandits was something we had done hundreds of times.

I thought it went all according to plan, but the silent treatment Vilkas was giving me told me that he did not feel the same way. He patrolled the perimeter of camp with a stern look on his face, more stern than usual. I sat in front of the fire and slowly fed it more branches I had collected.

"Vilkas?" My voice sounds so loud because I had gotten so used to the silence. He glances in my direction and lets out a sigh. His eyebrows furrow, and he acts as if he is about to say something, but he stops himself.

"Can you tell me what I did wrong?" I say, exasperated.

He growls and his wolf-like eyes pierce through mine as his head whips around.

"-or are you just going to pout in silence like a child and hope the problem goes away?" Vilkas seemed shocked at my outburst for a moment, and I'm shocked at myself, too.

"I am upset because I almost lost you and you act like it's nothing- like your life is nothing!" His voice begins to rise with every word.

I take a moment to sink in what he has just said. "We risk our lives everyday. What made tonight any different?!"

The moons shine and cause a eerie reflection in his eyes. "I saw you throw yourself in front of bandit's blade that was coming towards me!"

I feel my face becoming red hot. "Don't act like you wouldn't do that same for me!"

He hesitates and breathlessly mutters, "selfish," under his breath just loud enough for me to hear.

He goes back to circling around the camp, and I go back to feeding the fire. Silence consumes us once again and with a tired toss, I throw the remaining branches on the ground and storm into the tent.

* * *

It is a cold and dreary morning. I wake up in the tent still feeling tense about the argument last night, and as I crawl out the hazy sun stings my eyes. Once they adjust, I see Vilkas frantically scribbling something down on his hand.

"Vilkas, what are you doing?" I yawn and he jumps and shoves his hands behind his back.

"Oh! You're awake!" His face flushes, but not because of anger.

I give him a unsure glance as I walk closer to him, and sit down near him.

"I can tell that you're still feeling uneasy about last night." He mentions and looks down at the ground.

"How am I supposed to feel?" I ask bluntly.

"I never meant to be disrespectful to you." He grumbles as he stares at his hands. "I am salty- uh I mean sorry-"

I peek at his hand to see he had certain words underlined and circled but they seemed to have smudged, and I can't help but to give a small smile. "Vilkas, did you write what you wanted to tell me on you hand?"

"Um-" I can tell his throat tightens up as he locks eyes with me to try and read my emotions. "I felt more confident with writing than speaking. I just don't want to mess up and say the wrong thing."

"Just say what's on your mind." I feel more calm now, after I realize while I was sleeping he was probably phrasing an apology 2,000 different ways.

He takes a deep breath and says, "you are right. I acted immature when I didn't want to talk about the problem. When you confronted me, I lost my temper and I acted like a fool. I know I can't control what you do in the battlefield, but the thought of losing you made me so overwhelmed." He takes another deep breath, "I'm sorry."

I can't seem to stay mad at him as I pull him into a tight hug. "Why did you think I risked my life for you? It's because I feel the same way about losing you."

After a minute we pull away from the hug, Vilkas's eyes seem like they are about to tear up. "Well, in case you are still somewhat mad at me I wrote a ten page poem on how much you mean to me, but it's not finished yet. I think I needs many more pages." He smiles as he throws a stack of papers at me and a few mountain flowers.